nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Writing Your Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

They always tell you to never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about, but they never really tell you how to get there. Well, I’m going to tell you that the secret to getting ahead is getting started. The truth is it all starts with your resume. You don’t want to look back knowing you could’ve done better. Trust me, you will be thanking yourself later after college.

It is very important to possess a number of skills that could facilitate and expand the culture of a company. Things such as communication, organizational and research skills are key to making it happen. You never want to approach a job opportunity unprepared, especially if it’s something you really want to do.

When applying for a job, you want to be sure your communication skills are up to par. You must write your resume and cover letter clearly and concisely. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of resumes employers go through. They aren’t going to read your resume if it looks like an essay or a research paper. Keep it short and sweet.

Even if you’ve only had minimum wage jobs and one internship up to graduation, you want to list advantages in those jobs that you’ve acquired over time. For example, listing bullet points like “speaks effectively”, “leads groups”, “sets goals”, or “handles details and is punctual”, can earn you extra points. Make sure to include action words  in the likes of advises, complies, critiques, directs, establishes, generates, guides, etc, in your resume or cov

Here’s a cheat sheet from Business News Daily that I like to use when writing and re-writing my resume:

You might not consider this, but fonts are also very important. Exemplary fonts that are most utilized are Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri and Georgia. Include action words in your resume and cover letter like advises, complies, critiques, directs, establishes, generates, guides etc. Employers like to know that if they hire you, you’re not just going to be one of the masses but you’re going to do your best to improve and motivate others. They want assurance that you’re going to resolve problems and influence the organization positively.

In order to relay that message in your resume, you also need to avoid words like tries, loves, references available upon request, objectives, and responsibilities include. Employers hear it too often and you want to stand out not blend in. Just remember these tips when writing your resume and think outside the box. Best of luck from Her Campus to you!

Dominique Regalado is a multimedia Journalism major at Georgia State University. When she is not running around campus, she is drowning herself in coffee or editing for Her Campus. Dominique enjoys reading, going out for food, and much more while spending all her money on retail. She aspires to be a journalist for a major magazine publication. Follow her on Twitter: @domregalado!
Ashley Drayton is an alumna of Georgia State University, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism. Since being involved with Her Campus, she was co-founder and president of the GSU chapter, former chapter advisor of 5-8 college chapters, and wrote as a national contributing writer. Her dream job/career is to become a top writer, editor, blogger.