Wellness

How To Create A Productive Work Space: Quarantine Style!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Doing our finals at home this semester was something none of us were prepared for. But that doesn’t mean we can’t take this new normal and use it to our advantage! 

Here are some tips for adjusting to our unique test-taking circumstances:

Get out of bed!

Working from bed is so comfy and warm! But, when I start doing work, I start getting sleepy, and eventually, I’m taking a nap with my laptop on my chest. So, get up and work!

Sleepy girl in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash

No desk, no problem!

Many of us don’t have desks at home, but if you do, utilize it! For those of us who don’t, it’s still important to sit down in a chair and have your device on a flat surface. So, if that means working at the kitchen/dining room table, then so be it.

You can even sit down on a chair or bench and use a coffee table to prop your device. I’ve also pulled up a chair to my bed and used my mattress as my working space. Literally, anything can be used, as long as you’re sitting up and attentive to finish those tests!

Create the scene

When usually taking finals on campus, we’re in a room with all of our classmates, silent (for the most part), and working on our test in unison. Take advantage of the little things we can appreciate by being at home, taking our finals alone. No sounds of gum popping or shoes tapping. Someone sneezing or with a runny nose to distract you. No feelings of rushing yourself because someone already finished the test in 15 minutes. 

Find a quiet space in your house so that no one can interrupt you. I sometimes find that the best place for that is my bathroom, oddly enough. Don’t be afraid to stare at the wall for a couple of seconds like we usually do when taking exams. Relax, and take it all in. Familiarity may be what you need In times like this.  

women on phone and laptop
Pexels

Embrace the outdoors

Since we are in our own homes, unless your exam has strict guidelines on your location and surroundings, take it outside! Even if that means just opening your window, sitting in your car, or just sitting out on your porch, this can create new scenery that you may need. So take advantage of the freedom!

Accepting this new normal may not be hard for those who already take online courses, so don’t fret too much! It is still possible to pass your tests in the comfort of your home as long as you try. 

It may not be the perfect ideal setup, but you made it on your own to cater to yourself. So when the tests are over, don’t forget to pat yourself on the back for the hard work you put in. Even if you didn’t get the grade you hoped for, you did your best for the circumstances that were given. Good luck!

I'm a senior journalism student at Georgia State University who loves to write, eat and watch cartoons.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus