Life > Experiences

Goodbye: A Final Letter From The Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus GSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As I’m sitting here today writing to you for the last time, I don’t even know where to begin. For the first time in my life, the words aren’t coming to me easily. Maybe that’s because I know when I shut my laptop, it will really be the end. 

It’s not going to be easy, but I’m going to open up my heart one last time. 

The Start of Something New

I joined Her Campus in 2018, looking for a place to share my thoughts and express my love of writing. Little did I know, I would find a family. 

19 year old me was still new to college, and couldn’t quite find where I fit in. That all changed the night I attended my first general body meeting with Her Campus GSU.

I’m not the best at trying new things. I have to build up my courage and push myself. I was nervous that night walking to the Student Center. I knew I was about to enter a room full of people I didn’t know, and I wasn’t sure if they were going to like me. 

So, I walked in, sat down, and to my surprise, that fear I had felt instantly faded away. I was warmly welcomed and treated like I had been a part of the organization for years.

I owe this feeling of community and acceptance to Cydney Rhines, the President of HCGSU at the time. Cydney made me feel like I mattered. She instantly took me under her wing and supported my work. She inspired me. She made it look so easy, so effortless- and I wanted to be like her. 

I told myself that night I would work hard and climb my way up the ladder to eventually be an editor of Her Campus.

The Second Semester

I was sad to see Cydney graduate because I really didn’t have much time to work with her. She was the ultimate girl boss, and her efforts would definitely be missed by our entire organization. But, she left HCGSU in great hands, with Sierra Jenkins. 

Sierra was the kind of President you wanted to work under. And luckily for me, I had landed a Senior Editor position where I worked directly below her. 

Sierra, like Cydney, was kind and welcoming. She had a heart of gold and truly wanted the best for everyone in the org. We worked well together, and I think she saw something in me. 

It wasn’t long until Sierra also had to graduate, and she did something I’ll keep close to my heart forever. She asked me if I wanted to work alongside Moya Leung, the upcoming President of HCGSU, as the Editor-in-chief and be a Co-Campus Correspondent. 

I was so excited that someone saw my hard work and it had finally paid off. I instantly agreed to be Editor-in-chief and the rest… well, you’re reading this, so you know the rest.

Two of a Kind

Moya and I had a few classes together but didn’t talk much. She was honestly a little intimidating- I mean come on, she was Miss Black and Gold and everyone around GSU knew who she was. Moya is the ultimate example of everything a woman our age wants to be. Not only is she beautiful, but she is also incredibly smart and talented with a great head on her shoulders. 

I learned quickly there was no need to be intimidated. She did her work and I did mine. And it worked perfectly. We collaborated well and did the best we could to keep HCGSU afloat during a worldwide pandemic. It wasn’t easy, but we did it. 

I’m so grateful that Sierra decided to choose us both as Campus Correspondents. It was the start of a new tradition at HCGSU; having two in charge instead of just one. 

Everything (and Everyone) In Between 

I am so happy I’ve gotten the chance to work with the women I have. Those three were especially important to me, but many others have changed my life forever. 

I have been in this organization for almost four years, so there are way too many names to mention one by one, but I want everyone reading this to know that your presence in my life meant something to me. 

Her Campus wouldn’t be Her Campus without you all. We wouldn’t be an org without the laughter, memories, and stories you’ve told. There were days where I was feeling awful about something happening in my personal life and when we all sat around and just laughed– I felt so much happiness. 

You gave me a place to belong, and I’m forever grateful for that because of you. Yes, you. 

Write, write, write. 

My favorite part about Her Campus from the get-go was that I was a part of a platform made by women, for women. There truly is not another org like it at GSU, and I’m proud to say everything on this website since 2020 has been copyedited and published by me.

This website is so much more than a URL to me. It’s the place I got to express myself. Her Campus has inspired me to write content I love and that I’m proud of. I’m going to miss it so, so much.

Thank you to those who have read my stories from day one. It really does mean the world to me. Your support has given me the motivation to never stop writing, and even make it into a career. 

The Next Chapter 

I really hate this part. I almost don’t want to write it because like I said, I know when this is over-it’s really over. But, I’ll leave you with this:

Her Campus GSU has hands down been the best part of my entire college experience- and I mean that. If this article has stumbled upon anyone who is considering joining Her Campus, whether at GSU or any other university- please just do it. You won’t regret it. 

Right now, I’m in this weird spot between being about to graduate and about to start the rest of my life. Without this platform, I don’t know where I would be. This organization has inspired me to write for the rest of my days, and I couldn’t be more excited to do so. 

Her Campus GSU, I love you. You have shaped me into who I am today for the better. You have been there through it all, and I will take these memories with me forever. 

Thank you, so much. I’m holding back tears writing this right now. I don’t want to say goodbye. But, I have to. It’s time to start the next chapter. 

With all of my heart, for the last time, 

Best,

Your Editor-in-chief, 

Autumn.

Autumn Boekeloo is an aspiring entertainment journalist living in Atlanta, GA. She is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in Multimedia Journalism and minoring in Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies. The 21 year old will be graduating in December 2021 with a B.A. and several academic awards. Autumn has written for print and online newspapers at Georgia State. She enjoys writing articles about lifestyle, festivals and all things Atlanta. She hopes to work for a magazine one day while pursuing her own blog.