An Exclusive Insider: Managing Editor Taylor Josey Spills All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Taylor Josey ’17 

Junior

Journalism Major 

Atlanta Native 

February 5, 1994

Intelligent, stylish, and outright unique are three adjectives I could jot down to describe junior Taylor Josey. As a former writer for The Signal & MusingsofKrav.com, her rich experience landed her the role of Managing Editor at our chapter and she’s served us well, literally. In our conversation, she dishes on what her perfect world would be like, her trip to New York Fashion Week where she got the chance to interview a real life Editor, and how she actually lost the interview. Read on to catch a glimpse into the mind of a future journalist!

What is your ultimate dream in life?  

I want to venture into a lot of stuff in my life but ultimately, I just want to be writing about my experiences about traveling and doing neat stuff in life. Harper’s Bazaar would be my ideal island.  

Where would you like to travel to? 

Everywhere. But for my birthday, February 5th, I’m going to France in like 3 weeks. I will be travelling with my two of my sisters. We are four total and I am the third to last.  

That’s amazing! You will have to send me photos. 

Of course. I will be posting pictures everywhere.  

Do you have a blog? 

Yes, but am I active? No. But that is what one thing I would like to change and make a priority since I will be traveling to France and then I can just create the ultimate experience for others through my journey.  

What are your goals for the semester? 

I want to write more because I had writers block for like some months. I need to get back into the groove of things and practice a little bit more discipline. Also, I’ve only been drinking water since January 1st and it actually sucks. 

What, why? (We both laugh) 

Because I’m like used to drinking everything else because I wake up in the morning and I think “Mmh, do I want coffee or sweet tea?” And sometimes I do coffee and sweet tea at the same time. If it’s not that, it’s soda. Absolutely love soda. 

Soda in the morning? 

Oh yeah, soda anytime. I wake up in the middle of the night and crave soda. I know, it’s a little crazy. 

Crazy enough. What has been your favorite writing experience in life so far? 

I have two. Well I would definitely say that working for The Signal was a sweet experience getting the chance to interview people and I really enjoyed executing feature style stories. I wrote this one piece about an art gallery that was being shown here at the school, at the Arts & Humanities building. The exihibit which was called “Post Mortem; Life After Death” really spoke to me and so I wrote a fantastic article that has become my favorite. Also, I travelled to “New York Fashion Week” last semester, so that was cool. 

I recall seeing that post when I stumbled on your Instagram. What was it like attending one of the most well-known events in the world? 

It was beyond my words. From working with The Signal, I reached out to one of the editors I had been following for a while because of her work from Harper’s Bazaar and she gave me her e-mail and we met up at Fashion Week. It was the phenomenal Chrissy Rutherford, whom I actually got the chance to interview but a technical issue occurred with my phone so I lost all of the material. 

God Bless. I would have been mortified! Did you enjoy the rest of your trip? 

I was mortified, but I didn’t die. But yes, New York was a journey worth taking. Because people usually have an idea of what New York is like and for me, it really came to life. I love the whole atmosphere of the city and I will be moving up there in about a year. But for the summertime, I will be getting an internship preferably with Racked or Harper’s Bazaar. Or a digital internship, but still stay in the city.  

In the beginning, what intrigued a spark in you to start writing? 

Well, it was during my the end of my 8th grade year in middle school. You see, I’m not a very talkative person and I used to be extremely shy, but once I figured that I could express my opinions through writing, I became hooked. It then just started becoming a part of my lifestyle all through high school and I decided it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.  

So you are also a minor in Art History, what made you go that direction? 

I’m a person who likes art in general, it’s as simple as that. I’m enthralled by the idea of people putting their psychological emotions on a physical form.  I like to go to museums when I travel. 

What are your favorite sources to get information from? 

I like to read Huffington Post, the New York Times and Harper’s Bazaar. Also, anything from the Rachel Zoe Report.  

What’s your favorite city that you have visited so far? 

When I visited New Orleans, it was one of a kind. The art, the culture, the people, they were all just very distinctive and you can really tell that they have built a special kind of community and culture foe themselves that transcends to people coming to visit from all over. It’s different from Atlanta because it has its own intangible value, whereas it’s a tad bit harder to show “Atlanta Culture.” Unless, it’s something like southern food.  

Zimbabwean-American Journalism major at Georgia State University. Audrey Hepburn and pink enthusiast who's constantly dreaming of Breakfast at Bergdorfs. She lives in Atlanta with New York on her mind.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus