This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

In this day and age, it seems scary to start over. We are so conditioned to think that we are running out of time, so the mere thought of having to start from scratch when we want something new seems unreasonable.

I am here to tell you it is okay! It’s definitely not easy but it is possible and liberating. Here’s a secret about life: we always have a choice. Look at the past, notice the mistakes, and move forward. Here are two ways to start over when it seems impossible:

Journaling
Photo by My Life Journal from Unsplash

Take a Step Back and Look with Fresh Eyes

Gain a fresh perspective on your life. This is where you can take a journal and write down your regrets and what you think your limitations are. You can learn so much about yourself and see what you can do differently in the future. 

After you’ve self-reflected, it is easier to plan your next steps with a realistic perspective. If your goal is a new career, what steps do you need to take to change the course in the right direction?

"You Got This" sign with iPhone next to it
Photo by Prateek Katyal from Pexels

Get Your Mindset Right

If you don’t have that right mindset to motivate yourself, your new goals will just become words on a piece of paper with no action behind it. The two keys to the right mindset are realism and optimism. . Realism is knowing that your goal cannot be attained without the hard work put in. Optimism can charge you to go after what you want but also allows you to keep your head up if things don’t go as planned. 

Do not be embarrassed or discouraged to start over. Life is short, and your time is precious. Remember you deserve more than a draining job or relationship.

Don’t be afraid to take risks and break free from limitations.

Girl, just go for it!

Just a girl trying to romanticize and appreciate everything life has to offer. Join me :)
The GSU chapter of Her Campus