mental health resources?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mental health resources?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Coronavirus is rapidly infecting thousands of people around the world. Health experts are advising everyone to practice social distancing to prevent the virus from spreading. Social distancing means increasing the amount of physical space between people to avoid widespread disease. Let’s clarify what you should and shouldn’t do while social distancing. 

party on beach
Photo by Cassie Gallegos on Unsplash
DO avoid large social gatherings.

Attending social gatherings with more than ten people increases your chances of getting or passing the virus. Please save the world by staying home.

DON’T visit people over 60 years old or people with preexisting conditions.

Visiting seniors or people with underlying conditions puts them at risk of becoming infected with COVID-19. Try calling or FaceTiming them until officials suggest otherwise.

person washing hands
Burst
DO frequently wash your hands and maintain a proper distance between people.

Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds after visiting high touch areas. When in public or at small gatherings, be sure to stand at least 6 feet away from others.

DON’T assume that someone has coronavirus.

Keep in mind that it’s flu and allergy season. So when you’re in Walmart and a lady sneezes one time, say bless you and continue shopping. Remain 6 feet away, and you will be fine. 

Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
DO stay active.

Laying in bed or on the couch watching Netflix to pass the time takes a toll on your body. Start a dance competition on Just Dance with your family. Download Nike Training Club for a more structured workout. Just do something to keep your body moving.

DON’T go to healthcare facilities for unnecessary reasons.

The purpose of social distancing is to flatten the curve and not put a strain on our healthcare system. Try using over-the-counter medicine for mild symptoms.

Emily Veith / Justin Bieber / Hailey Baldwin Bieber / Pink / Lizzo
DO use technology to communicate.

Social distancing is not emotional distancing. Make a list of people to talk to via phone or video call. Have a virtual party using Google Duo, FaceTime, or Skype for group calls.

DON’T listen to discreditable sources.

Media outlets are not doing a great job of keeping fears down and hopes up. The CDC provides credible information about the virus, global updates, and how to stay safe during a pandemic.

Social distancing is one way you save the world from your bed. Wake up everyday and make it a positive experience. 

Qiyamah Saleem is a Senior at Georgia State University, pursuing her Marketing degree and Advertising certification. When she’s not writing for Her Campus or studying, she’s designing graphics or whipping soap.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus