This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Young and radiant, you were born into this world with a purpose. The light of earth and life where transcended to you from your one and only queen–your indestructible mother–whom undeservingly, was brought up in a significantly different, less accepting world than the one we inhabit now. Even worse, her own mother more than likely experienced even worse obstacles due to her radiantly “different” skin tone. But no matter what, she kept going enough to bring you on this planet; a magnificent stallion who stands up for what she believes in.

Not too long ago, the world in which you experience now was significantly changed by women who knew that there was more to life than oppression. Women who had a vision for a better nation, a better community, and a strong sense of belonging. Women who dazzlingly risked their lives on the platter just so you can walk the grounds of Georgia State University (or which ever college you attend); and freely feel the breeze without prejudiced harassment. It’s a tantalizing thought when you realize that historically, you have powerful women behind you who want you to push for greatness and shine brighter than the sky itself.  

It’s easy to get riled up inside and manifest hate against the unfair treatment that has shaken up this entire nation. But alas, you must take the time to sit down and thoroughly synthesize a plan to redeem your power without anger, but determination. To survive in this world, you have to dare to righteously make a statement through action–and not just any action–loud and powerful action.

One of the most fascinating and notable yet vaguely mentioned figures in history, Josephine Baker, unapologetically took charge of her own charismatic life and talent, and made it impossible to resist her voice. The stages of Hollywood in America had it out against women of color in the 1950s, but that did not stop the late Mrs. Baker from making her waves in the ocean. Proudly, she substantially rose to fame and prosperity by making her mark in Paris; then returned to America as the phenomenal star she was meant to be all along, all the while opening doors for minorities and landing a hand to do away with segregation.

Her actions serve as an example of a woman who noticed a problem, found a way to make her dreams come true, and proudly stood beside her people for truth and righteousness. If we, individually, are able to manifest enough will, grace, and determination alongside unassailable courage, we can rise up even beyond this nation and rightfully make the change this world needs. No matter how malicious a person is towards you, or even if you are faced with an entire group of people who doubt you, it is imperative that you engrain and remember this wisdom from Thomas Cooley to your heart, “I am not who you think I am; I am not who I think I am; I am who I think you think I am.”

Zimbabwean-American Journalism major at Georgia State University. Audrey Hepburn and pink enthusiast who's constantly dreaming of Breakfast at Bergdorfs. She lives in Atlanta with New York on her mind.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus