The Birth of a Nation: History, Controversy and Failure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

In an effort to “remake history” in The Birth of a Nation, Nate Parker faces some unexpected bumps in the road weeks before the film’s release date. Parker —famous actor, producer, screenwriter and director— debuted all of his talents in the 2016 reclaim of The Birth of a Nation. The film was produced with the sole intention of igniting conversation and essentially giving a new meaning to the famous title. Unfortunately, history caught up to him and not in a good way.

History

The 1915 production of D.W. Griffith’s The Birth of a Nation left an unforgettable mark on the nation. The film ignited anger in a lot of Americans in that it dramatized the assassination of one of the country’s most beloved presidents, Abraham Lincoln. It depicted actors in blackface, as well as portrayed the KKK as a heroic organization. For these reasons and more, the film was seen as a step back for the country. While the film did terribly socially, it was a hit in the box offices. It was once considered the highest grossing film of its time. So why would Parker choose to remind the country of such a dated and demeaning film? His mission, or what one would assume, was to give the title a new meaning, tell our nation’s history from a different point of view, and most importantly, receive the same box office success as Griffith. However, Parker had one thing that Griffith did not, an alleged rape case.

Controversy

Parker’s goal for this film was to spark controversy based on the title of the film and its storyline. The film is the story of Nat Turner, an enslaved preacher who led a rebellion in Virginia. So what is more controversial than to tell the story of a slave by giving it the same title as a story about the KKK?

Parker’s respect in the film industry was growing and it was expected that this film would solidify him as not only an actor but filmmaker, producer and director. Unfortunately, he did not expect his past to play such a big roll.

In 1999, while attending Pennsylvania State University, Parker was accused by a fellow classmate of rape. The technicalities of the trial and persons involved in the case are lengthy. In the end, Parker was found not guilty of all accusations brought against him.

So why now? Parker has been in Hollywood for a while now, starring in blockbusters like Beyond the Lights, The Great Debaters, The Secret Life of Bees and more. So why has his past come back to haunt him as he prepares to release, possibly, the biggest film of his career?

Parker’s The Birth of a Nation documents Nat Turner’s upbringing, family, work as a preacher and as a rebellion leader. Throughout the film life as a slave is depicted, most commonly rape. And this is where Parker, the man, comes into play. While he did not hide his past, Parker simply felt that there was no reason or need to discuss it. Some find it hard to support Parker, the filmmaker, because of the hypocritical discourse surrounding  how a man who was allegedly accused of rape produce a film condemning rape. And the box office was a direct reflection of the public’s opinions.

Failure

The film’s opening week did not do as well as some would have hoped. According to Forbes, the film did not recoup in its second week either, it fell 61 percent. Experts predict that the film will not only lose profit but its potential Oscar nomination as well. In my opinion, the film on its own, was moving. The production was great, the actors delivered an awesome performance and the message was strong. Sadly, Parker’s attempt to “remake history” was not well received by all.

Amanda Battle will one day be the host of her own talk show but for now, hopes to receive a job at a local radio station upon graduation. Battle will be graduating in 2018 with a bachelors in Communications. When she is not working hard to achieve her goals of becoming a talk show host or working at her part-time job, she enjoys going to the movies and hanging out with friends.  
The GSU chapter of Her Campus