This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

When Grinnellians think of the most promising up-and-coming artists on campus, Nick Ward tops the list. He has been creating, producing and performing rap music (often with a jazz/jam band behind him) since before he stepped on campus, and as his widely attended “Time Stands Still” concert in Herrick Chapel last month demonstrated, his talent and passion for music is electric. Watch out for this star on the rise!

Name: Nick Ward

Hometown: Born in Monterey, Calif., but Little Rock, Ark., is home.

Major: Sociology

Favorite Grille Food: Mozzarella sticks

‪How would you describe the type of music you create?

‪I would describe it as chill wave music — music that speaks to the people.

When and how did you start creating and performing music?

‪I started writing music around 13 years old. But I didn’t really start making music until my sophomore/junior year of high school. I met up with a friend of mine, Chad Robb, we made a group, and from there, I came here, met Daniel Kisslinger, and I went on to make two solo mixtapes, doing shows here and back home in Arkansas.

Who are your biggest musical influences?

‪Quite a few, but Common, Nas, Kanye West, The Alchemist, and I’ll just stop there.

Are you involved in all aspects of your music production?

‪Sometimes, early and even now, I have help with production from Malik Flint, Will Jackson, Leo Ramos, Spacecamp, Fresco Grey, and Jesse Romo.

What is the most rewarding aspect of producing and performing at Grinnell? The most challenging?

‪The most rewarding aspect of doing work here is that I get to do it, and the students support me and my friends that want to do music here. It’s good to have spaces to have a creative outlet. The most challenging aspect is trying to do all of this while classes are in session during the week.

‪Plans after Grinnell?

‪Hopefully to continue working on my craft. Continue to learn from mentors that come along the way, and just work hard at what I do, and enjoy it.

‪ ‪Any piece of advice for aspiring musicians (or Grinnellians in general)?

‪Just always make time for it. If it’s what you love, and something you’re passionate about, always make time for it. 

Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).