Why Decorating for Christmas in November is Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

On November 1st, I have been known to take down every pumpkin, bat, or witch decoration I can find and replace it with Santas, stockings and lots of jingle bells.  The Christmas season begins for me on November 1st every year.  While I am not trying to skip out on Thanksgiving (I mean c’mon, you can’t miss that food!) I personally am obsessed with Christmas and all things holiday season.  Maybe you have a friend like me too!  If so, here are some reasons why we like to get our Christmas spirit going so early, and then maybe you can try to be more understanding of us and our obnoxious decorations. 

First of all, Christmas is the time of year where we get to pretent to be little kids again.  I don’t know about you, but I love remembering all of the best Christmas gifts I ever got and thinking of simpler times where I didn’t have so many responsibilities.  If I can pretend to be six, even if it’s just for a few minutes when I blast my Pandora Christmas station, I can forget about all of the papers and exams I have coming up, and live in the joyfulness of Christmas instead.  Plus, those Christmas jammies were so cute when we were little!

Next, being away from home during the fun festivities of Christmas can be hard for many college students.  I have always felt as if I am missing out on such fun events happening back home, including many family traditions.  By starting the celebration early, as in November, I don’t feel like I’m missing out on things as much.  Rather, I am starting my own traditions with my rooommates and possible life long friendships with people at Gonzaga. 

Lastly, all of the decorations and food hold special memories for us Christmas lovers.  If we start the celebration early, we get to live in those memories and special times for EVEN LONGER.  How great is that?  Plus, the music is the best.  No one can deny they love Justin Bieber’s rocking Christmas album, and do I need to say anything else besides Mariah Carey?  I mean, All I want for Christmas is You defined an entire generation of Christmases at my house.  

To all of you Christmas fanatics out there, I say let your holiday freak flag fly!  Our season has arrived!  Only 6 more weeks until the actual holiday.  Time to get decorating and celebrating! 

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.