This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

This past year, I have been watching way too much Netflix.  But that’s what freshmen year is for, right?! After lots of hours of streaming, I have narrowed down the top best friendships on television that girls in college should want to emulate.  I hope you’ll see that having a girlfriend who you will back you up no matter what is extremely valuable, and try to find her in your own life!

1.     Meredith Grey and Christina Yang

This year I took the Grey’s Anatomy plunge and watched every episode on Netflix.  Watching what Christina and Mere went through together over the seasons made me bawl my eyes out that much more when Christina left for Switzerland.  I will always miss their dance parties in Mere’s room and the healthy competition that drove each of them to become the best surgeons they could be.  In her famous last words, Christina reminded Meredith yet again of her worth, and their bond has never been broken.

2.     Peyton Sawyer and Brooke Davis

In the first six seasons of One Tree Hill, we got to watch Peyton and Brooke not only develop into adults, but we also got to watch their friendship bloom and mature.  Peyton and Brooke are the ultimate best friends because they fought off crazy Derek and never let boys come between their friendship.  If there’s one thing I have learned from their friendship, though, it’s to never date the same guy, and definitely don’t fall in love with him..

3.     Monica and Rachel

I don’t even need to say their last names for this one. While there might be six F*R*I*E*N*D*S on the show, there’s no other friendship that compares to Monica and Rachel’s.  Although the girls hadn’t seen each other since high school, Rachel hunts Monica down as soon as she can get into the city, and Monica willingly lets Rachel stay with her.  From the first episode of the show, Monica and Rachel prove living with your best friend is the greatest.

4.     Rory and Lorelai Gilmore

As the return of Gilmore Girls approaches, it’s only fair to include this mother-daughter duo on the list of best friends.  Being close to my own mom, I realize how important Rory and Lorelai’s relationship is.  Who says your mom can’t be your best friend?  If my mom was as cool and as funny as Lorelai, I’d be her best friend too!  This pair is attached at the hip, and Stars Hollow wouldn’t be the same without them.  Thanks for coming back GG!

5.     Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha

Who says you can only have one best friend? Not Carrie Bradshaw!  These four girls are as different as they are similar.  Navigating New York City in your thirties with your best friends seems like so much fun with Carrie.  The girls all embody different attributes of women these days, yet they don’t let their differences stop them.  The girls are always supportive of one another and want what’s best.  I hope to have such strong friends in my life when I’m thirty! (P.S. Though Sex and the City isn’t on Netflix, have no fear! The entire series is on Amazon Prime video!)

6.     Serena Van der Woodson and Blair Waldorf

Although they didn’t always get along, Serena and Blair make the list because they represent what real friendships look like.  They fought, they bailed, they spoke the truth to each other even when it was hard, but ultimately they were there for one another.  Serena didn’t bail on Blair when she didn’t want Blair to marry Louis, yet Serena was still at the wedding.  Friends are there when it counts, and Serena and Blair continue to prove that. Xoxo, Gossip Girl.

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick. 
Natalie is a co-campus correspondent at Gonzaga University. She is currently a sophomore studying public relations with a minor in writing. Her ultimate life goal is to write and publish a best seller. Aside from the runnings of Her Campus Gonzaga, Natalie enjoys reading, shopping, Netflix, volunteering, and hanging out with her friends.