Things I Need to Thank My Best Guy Friend For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

We all have a guy friend who we go to when we need advice or a shoulder to cry on.  I have known my best guy friend for the last five years. Unfortunately, we don’t go to the same school anymore and he lives up in Canada, but I still talk to him frequently.  The other day I realized I have a lot to thank him for and I never do.  So this one is for you Cole, and all of the great guy friends in the world!

1.     Thank you for listening to my relationship drama.

You have always been there when I call to talk about all of my boy troubles.  You offer me a new perspective and calmly explain to me what is happening from a guy’s point of view.  You talk me off the ledge and remind me of what I want out of a relationship. You are kind but also reasonable which is exactly what I need when I get out of control emotionally. 

2.     Thank you for watching my favorite movies with me.

Whether it’s a chick flick or a musical, you’re there to listen to me quote all of my favorite lines and sing my favorite songs.  I think over time you have actually come to like them too, and I am grateful that you enjoy a Friday night in with me as much as a night out with the guys.  Maybe one day we can watch your favorites, but I am grateful you are always up for mine.

3.     Thank you for letting me into your life.

While I am very grateful you have come in to my life, I am also very glad that I get to be a part of yours.  Not many guys are willing to open up with a girl who they aren’t dating, but you willingly come to me seeking advice and sharing problems you face.  You always let me give you advice, even if you don’t take it, and let me see into your brain a little more.  Sometimes we have to say hard things to one another, but I’m thankful to have a friendship with you that allows us both to be honest and vulnerable with one another.

4.     Thank you for pushing me to be my best.

You see me better than most and you aren’t afraid to call me out when I am not living up to my potential.  You encourage me to go for my dreams and not let anyone tell me I’m not good enough.  You advocate for me when it seems impossible, and you do it with charm.  Whenever I am feeling down or unworthy, you always have a kind word to share and a compliment to give.  You believe in me and on some days I need to be reminded of what I am capable of, and you never disappoint.  You see something in me and I am glad you’re still here to push me to be my best.  I wouldn’t be here today without you.

5.     Thank you for letting me cry.

Not many guys are comfortable seeing a girl cry, but you handle it like a pro.  You are always comforting, but also tell me to put on my boots and get to work.  I know I can go to you when I’m on the verge of a melt down, and you will just hug me and tell me life will figure itself out.  I don’t have any reason to hold back and I wouldn’t want it any other way. 

6.     Thank you for being my best friend.

I don’t tell you enough how much you mean to me.  Whether it’s on a Friday night and a date cancels on me or when you’re out having so much fun with your new friends, you always take the time to be my best friend.  You offer a unique perspective as my closest guy friend and I never want to take you for granted.  You know me, you care about me, and I know you’ll beat up any guy who breaks my heart.  Thank you for loving me so well and for continually putting up with me and my life struggles for so many years.  I wouldn’t want anyone else by my side. 

To all of the great guy friends out there, we really appreciate you and how you care about us.  Never stop being you because we are always going to need you.  Ladies, make sure to tell your best guy friend you love them.  They deserve way more praise than we give. 

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick. 
Natalie is a co-campus correspondent at Gonzaga University. She is currently a sophomore studying public relations with a minor in writing. Her ultimate life goal is to write and publish a best seller. Aside from the runnings of Her Campus Gonzaga, Natalie enjoys reading, shopping, Netflix, volunteering, and hanging out with her friends.