New Year 2018: Resolve to Continue What You’re Already Doing!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Before returning to campus, I was listening to a podcast about how to make – and actually stick to – New Year’s resolutions (you can find it HERE! ?). In the past, my resolutions have been pretty random: improve my posture, maybe try to meditate on a semi-regular basis, floss more, etc. While these aren’t particularly ambitious resolutions, they’re all linked by a common objective to fix an unwanted habit, or enforce a “better” one.

Like most people, my past resolutions have never really stuck. They might come charging back at various points throughout the year, but for the most part, I completely abandon them as soon as my school load increases.

One of the hosts of this podcast, Bridgette Todd, was firmly opposed to resolutions – and I can certainly see why. We tend to beat ourselves up over these aggressive, self-inflicted mandates, and run away screaming at the end of January.

For me, the struggle of 2018 is how to give ourselves grace in this period of seemingly obligatory resolution-making, recognizing the new year as a time of change, but also a continuation of the past twelve months of our lives.

In the words of Maya Angelou: “My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart.”

Taking these words to heart, make it a resolution to identify at least one thing you want to continue, and start this spring semester with an appreciation for who you have already become.