Best Movies to Watch for your Girls’ Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.
  1.  Mean Girls

It wouldn’t be a girls’ night if you didn’t watch Mean Girls.  This movie is a classic and always makes a group laugh.  The actresses in this movie are everything (I mean Rachel McAdams, Tina Fey and Amanda Seyfried? Does it get any better?), and if we’re honest, we all have a memory of high school that reminds us of the Plastics.  Whether it’s pre-drugs Lindsay Lohan that draws you in or Amy Poehler’s hilarious “cool mom” character, this movie is a go to and we are so thankful it’s still on Netflix.

1. The Wedding Planner

If you haven’t seen this movie, NOW’S THE TIME.  The Wedding Planner recently came to Netflix, and it’s great.  JLo stars alongside a dorky version of Matthew McConaughey (well it’s dorky now, but the bleached hair and tiny glasses were cool in the early 2000s) in one of the first romantic comedies I ever saw.  The premise is the wedding planner falls for one of her grooms, and there’s also a young Alex Karev (aka Justin Chambers) in a supporting role that will make you swoon.  A must see with your best girlfriends!

1. The Best of Me

A Nicholas Sparks book turned movie, this one will make you sob (only watch it with others who also like to cry during movies).  It’s about a high school love that split for college, a story that many collegiettes understand, and reunite when a friend is dying.  Although it’s not the happiest of endings (but come on, when is Nicholas Sparks happy), James Marsden is incredible and it’s totally worth the cry-fest. 

1. The Holiday

Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Jack Black take on LA and the English countryside in this adorable movie about switching love lives for a Christmas.  This movie is perfect if you need advice on how to get over that ex and deal with your issues before starting a new relationship.  Plus, it’s Jude Law.  You gotta see it.

1. 13 Going on 30

Take the best songs from the 1980s and add Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo, and you get a hilarious movie about wanting to grow up before you’re ready.  The story follows two best friends and how their lives end up, both together and apart.  If you just want to be thirty, flirty and thriving, this movie is for you and will definitely inspire a dance party in the living room with your girlfriends.  Hurry and watch before it leaves Netflix!

While there are many other great movies to watch on Netflix, these are some fail-proof choices that any group of girls will love to view together on a Friday night.  So grab your besties and some popcorn and enjoy a night in making memories and laughing with one of these classics.  

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.