8 Things I Learned from the Movie “How to be Single”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

If you haven’t seen How to Be Single yet, it is definitely worth the watch! And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a Rebel Wilson movie? Whether you are in a relationship or not, I believe that everyone can find value and truth in the life lessons in this movie.

1.     Like Rebel Wilson’s character Robin, you don’t need a guy in your life to feel confident in yourself. Being single or even in a relationship does not define who you are. You should be happy, go out with your friends, and HAVE FUN regardless of your relationship status.

2.     Boys may come and go, but girlfriends are forever. No matter who stays and who goes in your love life, the magical thing about true girlfriends (like Robin and Alice) is that they will always be there for you. You may argue, disagree, or even get jealous of each other from time to time, but at the end of the day, if they are really your friend, they will love and support you no matter what. Now that is a special kind of love.

3.     IT’S OKAY TO BE SINGLE! Being single isn’t something women usually embrace, but I think we should! Think of all the amazing things you have the opportunity to do and accomplish while you’re single that you can’t do if you’re tied down. Honestly, I think being alone for awhile is a blessing in disguise. It is the perfect time to get to know the real you, to “find yourself” and figure out what you truly want in life. Think about it…Alice would most likely never have hiked the Grand Canyon if she was still with Josh!

4.     No matter how chaotic your life is, there truly is someone out there for everyone. Like Alice’s older sister Meg, you might be a hardworking independent young woman who appears to be married to her job and or school. And although it may seem easier to allow your work to consume your life so you don’t have to think about how single you are, do not fall for it! You are a strong, beautiful young woman who deserves to find “Mr. Right”, and you will! But never get so caught up in business that you forget to put yourself out there.

5.     He was your first love for a reason. We all have someone in mind. Our first real boyfriend. Together you shared all the firsts. The way I look at it, whether it ended on a positive note, or it was a heart wrenching breakup, it happened for a reason. Not all relationships are meant to last forever. I’m not sure I would say I believe in soul mates, but I do believe that there is someone somewhere that everyone is meant to be with. And odds are, you’re not going to find him in the first guy you date. After all, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you can find your prince.

6.     Honesty really is the best policy. When it comes to your best friends, you should always be honest with them. Even if it means telling them something they don’t want to hear, more than likely, you see something in their life that they have gone blind to. Yes, the truth can be hard to swallow, but by bringing this to their attention they will have a better chance of getting out of whatever rut they may be stuck in. As long as you have their best interest in mind, I’m sure they will thank you for your brutal honesty. Case in point, I do not think Alice would have changed her lifestyle and relationship-dependent attitude if Robin hadn’t called her out for it.

7.     There is no “Mr. Perfect”, only “Mr. Right”. No matter how badly you want Mr. tall, dark and handsome, the perfect man who meets every item of criteria on your mental checklist, to the T, the reality is he likely does not exist. This isn’t to say that you will never find your dream guy, but that when you do find someone special, he probably will not match EVERY. SINGLE. characteristic or quality you desire. He may be a little shorter than you would typically want, maybe a little bit quirkier than you, or slightly too obsessed with his favorite sports team, but at the end of the day all that matters is that he is perfect in YOUR eyes. There is no “Mr. Perfect”, only a guy who is “Mr. Right” for YOU.

8.     “Boys are like sprinkles on your cupcake”. By itself, the cupcake (frosting included) is delicious and does not need sprinkles. However, they make a nice addition to an already delectable dessert. Likewise, on your own, you are enough. You don’t need a man to fulfill or complete you. Rather, the guy in your life should compliment you; not make or break you.

So here’s to all the single ladies out there! From one single lady to another, never forget your value and worth. You are special and deserve nothing but the best. Odds are you won’t be single for long, so in the meantime, treat yourself. Check a few items off of your bucket list, have fun, love life, and embrace it!

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.
Natalie is a co-campus correspondent at Gonzaga University. She is currently a sophomore studying public relations with a minor in writing. Her ultimate life goal is to write and publish a best seller. Aside from the runnings of Her Campus Gonzaga, Natalie enjoys reading, shopping, Netflix, volunteering, and hanging out with her friends.