11 Tell Tale Signs You Go to GU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

With the 2016-2017 school year officially underway, we’d like to welcome our Zags back to campus by reminding you all what makes GU such a special place; a place I am proud to call my home away from home. Here are 11 signs you go to GU:

1. You feel like a horrible person when you don’t hold the door open for someone or it accidentally closes on them. We should seriously have a major entitled ‘Door-holding and Random Acts of Kindness’.

2.  Winning an intramural league and thus, a t-shirt, is a big deal! Like. Huge. Gonzaga takes a lot of pride in it’s intramurals; so much so that for Zags, receiving a championship intramural t-shirt is almost like the Lombardi Trophy equivalent.

3.  You understand the struggle of having to dodge puddles so you don’t get wet feet while rocking your birks and socks.

4.  Nothing brightens your day more than walking down Bulldog Alley on a sunny afternoon as music blares from an open window of 4th floor DeSmet; courtesy of DJ DeSmet. From Disney, High School Musical, and classic rock, to country and T-Swift, our DJ plays it all.

5.  When you think of celebrities, its not the Kardashians, Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp who come to mind. We all know who the real celebs are around here (can anyone say President Thayne and Przemek Karnowski?)

6.  Long boards. Long boards everywhere.

7.  Studying abroad isn’t just an option; its part of our identity as a university. If someone says they are not studying abroad, generally the reaction is something along the lines of “WHAT?! WHY NOT??” Florence, Italy anyone?

8.  You, or someone you know has adopted a baby for one weekend in April. No, not a real baby, a GEL baby! For whatever reason, Zags who host prospective students during the Gonzaga Experience Live weekend casually refer to their high school student as their ‘GEL baby’. Occasionally, we even go so far as to create a GEL family tree (GEL mama, GEL sister etc.) It’s only weird if you think it is. 

9.  You or someone you know most likely knows how to pitch a tent. I think you all know what I’m referring to.

10.  The crosses atop St. Als often serve as your North Star, guiding you home safely.

11.  You never hesitate to throw around the phrase “Go Zags”. Whether you shout it at the top of your lungs at sporting events, or a friend just informed you that they failed a chemistry exam, a simple “Go Zags” is always appropriate and appreciated. 

Have a great fall semester Zags!

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.
Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.