10 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

If you’re like me, you thought that the snow was done for the year and the temperatures would start to rise soon. Unfortunately though, the groundhog was right and it looks like winter is going to stick around at least a little bit longer. Until the snow melts and the flowers start to bloom, here are 10 ways to beat those winter blues!

Pop Some Vitamins

During the dreary winter months, the lack of sunshine can put a damper on your mood. Counteract that with a regular dosage of Vitamin D. Also, if you feel like you’re eternally sick during the winter, try some Vitamin C supplements to give a little boost to your immune system.

Get Outside

Filling your lungs with fresh air and exposing yourself to the light of day is a proven way to break out of a seasonal depression. During those rare sunny days, get out there and soak up the sun!    

Try Something New

Always thought you might like knitting? Always been curious about calligraphy? Give it a go, girl. Instead of moping around when you find yourself stuck inside, find a hobby you’ve wanted to try. As they say, there’s no time like the present!

Find Some Friends

There’s nothing like some good, old-fashioned friendship on a rainy day. Science shows that laughter reduces stress, works your abs, and releases endorphins. Besides, I know that I always laugh the most when I’m with the squad.

Turn Up the Lights

As tempting as it can be to keep all the lights off and stay in bed, turning the lights on can literally and figuratively brighten your day. It imitates sunlight, which is especially lacking during the winter months.  

Enjoy a Book

Reading can help you escape to another world, leaving behind the gloomy winter that surrounds you entirely. Hit the nearest bookstore (or Amazon, if we’re being real), and stock up on some titles that interest you.

Bake Some Treats

Pinterest is a godsend during the boring winter months. There are so many delicious recipes to try, and what better way to brighten a gloomy winter day than a spoonful (or two) of sugar?

Get Moving

As Elle Woods of Legally Blonde once said, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.” While you probably haven’t been charged with the murder of your significant other, anyone can use a good rush of endorphins to kick those winter blues in the booty!

Aromatherapy

If you haven’t tried it already, aromatherapy is amazing. It’s fascinating how a simple scent can impact your attitude. Scents like peppermint and citrus energize and invigorate for those days when you just can’t seem to get motivated. Lavender and sage can lift your spirits when the mid-winter funk hits.

Take a Soak

A nice warm bath is good for the soul. It’s so good to take some time away from your phone, away from work or school, and just be with yourself and your thoughts. Light some candles, fill the tub, turn on the jets, fizzle a bath bomb, and soak ‘til you’re a prune.

Stay warm out there, ladies! Spring is on its way… Eventually!

Portland native with a passion for people & words.