Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why You Need To Keep Your Girlfriends When You Have a Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

There is nothing worse than when your friend gets a boyfriend and drops off the face of the earth. I definitely have had friends over the year do this, and when their relationship doesn’t work out they do not have their support system anymore. It bites you in the butt, and even though when you are in love and think it’s going to last- a lot of time it doesn’t. 

I was in a long-term relationship from the time I was 17 to 20 years old. It started in high school, and it was easy to fall into the trap of focusing on my boyfriend and not giving my friends as much attention. I would look forward to the weekend to spend with my boyfriend and definitely fell behind on the lives of my best friends. 

My boyfriend and I went off to separate colleges, and I was able to make friends without him and have certain weekends dedicated to him when I would visit him. It was good to create a close group of friends that saw me for just me and didn’t consider me a packaged deal with him.

I have always heard people talk about how it’s so important to be with your friends when you go through a hard time. For a long time, I didn’t understand that. When I had something rough going on, I liked to seclude myself or be comforted by my relationship. 

When my boyfriend broke up with me right before I went abroad, I knew that I had to stick close to my girls. I would not have been able to get through it without going out and dancing with my friends or staying in and talking with them. Distracting yourself is so important- and I never thought I would be able to. I have, and its all thanks to my friends that I am so thankful for.

So, my advice for all you lucky girls in relationships is to stick close to your girlfriends. Or guy friends! Your friends in general. Keep up your friendships because those are the relationships that last and that you should be able to count on at the end of the day. Don’t assume your relationship will last forever and that you don’t need your friends anymore for support- or for fun! 

Student at Gettysburg College studying sociology and creative writing.