photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Why I Listen to Christmas Music Before Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Every November, the debate over when to celebrate Christmas begins. When is the best time to decorate? When is the best time to buy gifts? And the most controversial question– when is the best time to play Christmas music? In general, most people begin listening to it after Thanksgiving is over. Needless to say, I belong to the party that starts the carols a week or two before the turkey is carved.

Yes, I know it’s early. And I know that Thanksgiving is an important and enjoyable holiday, but I refuse to give up my early Christmas music and no one can convince me to wait longer. The joy the music brings me overshadows any eye rolls I get from friends.

Image via Today

As you can probably guess, Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love baking cookies with my sisters, shopping with my dad, and going to evening mass with my mom. I look forward to our family Christmas parties and seeing lights all over town. Christmas brings everyone together and sparks feelings of generosity and love in everybody’s heart. There’s a level of comfort that comes from participating in traditions that you’ve done since you were a child.

In November, I need as many positive feelings and memories more than almost any other time of the year. The days are getting shorter, nights are getting darker, and every hour is colder. Professors begin cracking down with more papers and projects as finals loom in the distance. As someone that struggles with depression and anxiety, November can be extremely overwhelming and Christmas is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Image via Red Letter Christians

Listening to Christmas music doesn’t take away the joy of Thanksgiving, however, it is still possible to celebrate family, friends, and food, while also looking forward to the season of Christmas. If anything, Christmas music can help us get in the spirit of giving, celebrating family and friends, and being grateful for all that we have. Why do we have to hate on music with such happy and kind messages?

This holiday season, let’s worry less about when Christmas music starts playing and just take the time to enjoy all the great things that come around this time of year.

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!