palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

What Weird Movie you should Watch Based on your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.
  1. Psychology

The Stepford Wives (1975), directed by Bryan Forbes, makes for the perfect psychological thriller. Katharine Ross stars as the young wife of Walter (Peter Masterson) who notices the new, perfect suburban town her family has moved to may not be what it seems. Familial ties, gender roles, feminism, and other topics are explored throughout this movie.

1. History

The VVitch (2015), directed by Robert Eggers, is a historical horror film focusing on femininity and values in the 1630s America. It stars Anya Taylor-Joy as Thomasin, a young girl living in New England during the formation of our country. The family’s infant son goes missing, and the family begins to spiral out of control.

1. Fashion

Last Night in Soho (2021), directed by Edgar Wright, is a mind bending journey into the world of fashion in 1960’s SOHO in London. Thomasin McKenzie stars alongside Anya Taylor-Joy and Matt Smith in this crime film where a young, determined, and odd fashion student seeks solace in her art but gets sucked in.

1. Pre-Med

Jawbreaker (1999), directed by Darren Stein, puts a dark spin on the classic teen movie. Rose McGowan, Julie Benz, and Rebecca Gayheart star in the film as a group of friends who accidentally kill their friend with a jawbreaker, and they replace her with Judy Greer. The odd crime thriller will entertain any perspective doctor.

1. Business

Chinatown (1974), directed by Roman Polanski, is a neo-noir mystery. Jack Nicholson plays a P.I. who starts to investigate a husband’s infidelity but gets mixed up in lies, crime, and Californian water. The film was inspired by the real California water wars and the corruption of 1930s Los Angeles.

1. English

Sorry to Bother You (2018), directed by Boots Riley, follows a new black telemarketer who changes himself in order to climb to the top of the company he works for. LaKeith Stanfield stars in it with Tessa Thompson. Racism in corporate America is explored in this film as well.

1. Sciences

Her (2013), directed by Spike Jonze, is a very unusual love story about humanity. Joaquin Phoenix plays the main character, a man who is especially lonely after separating from his wife and so, he gets AI. The AI, voiced by Scarlet Johansson, develops a relationship with him, and the limits of love are tested as it continues to advance.

1. Philosophy

Funny Games (1997), directed by Michael Haneke, is an Austrian psychological thriller. The film is about a family who’s oddly forced to be in good spirits as they are being held captive in their house by home intruders.

Sophie "Chase" Roth was the treasurer of the HerCampus chapter at Gettysburg College. Chase Roth served as representative of the club in communications between them and the college in any financial capacity.