This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Staying motivated during a largely remote semester with no scheduled breaks is … hard. Here are a few small things that are helping me stay motivated!

Create a morning routine

Having a schedule to adhere to in the morning can be super important in staying motivated. When I get up I always try to shower, wash my face, and brush my teeth. That way I’ve at least gotten myself out of bed, and I feel like I’ve accomplished something. Sometimes it’s just the little things :)

Use a planner and make daily to-do lists

I am obsessed with using my planner and creating daily to-do lists. This is possibly the only thing keeping my life together. When you’re not leaving the house, it’s easy for the days to run together and to lose track of when your assignments are due. Making a manageable list of what I need to get done that day makes my life feel a little bit more structured and keeps me from falling behind. Plus, I just really love to cross off the things I get done!

Get dressed

This semester, as the novelty of remote learning and going to class in my pjs has waned, I try to get dressed in “real” clothes at least once a week. Even putting on a sweater instead of a sweatshirt makes me feel a little bit more like a human.

Get out of bed to go to class

Changing up your scenery is super important! I know it was really cool to be able to go to class from bed in March, but I am now finding it easier and easier to stay there all day. If you can, try moving somewhere quiet in your house, your desk, or even just on top of your made bed (that’s right–I said make your bed). I find that sitting up and not being under my comforter makes me feel more focused.

Give yourself breaks

This is nowhere near a normal, or even ideal, semester. It’s okay to let yourself rest and heal. Lean on your friends, professors, and classmates. Keep people in the loop and ask for extensions if or when you need them. Taking care of yourself is important!

I believe in you. You can do this!

Grace Gallagher

Gettysburg '22

Grace is a senior double-majoring in History and Political Science with a minor in Middle East and Islamic Studies at Gettysburg College. She is involved in the Gettysburg College Historical Society, Alpha Phi Omega, and is the senior editor for the Gettysburg chapter of HerCampus. She loves coffee and dogs more than anything.