This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Okay, so, before you begin any type of hand sewing, you’re going to have to put a piece of thread through a needle and knot it.

There are numerous tips as to the best way to get the thread through the eye of the needle, but the best approaches tend to be the most simple ones. First, you’re going to want to hold the needle up, preferably in front of a background that makes it easy to see the thread and the hole such as a white piece of paper or a wall.

Make sure that you have a clean end of a thread to work with.

Image via author

This is not a clean end.

If the thread isn’t cut cleanly then it will definitely be harder to get through the eye of the needle.

Image via author

This is a clean end.

To get a cleaner end, cut the thread close to the end and run the end between your lips.

Now, hold the thread about half an inch from the end. Gently guide the end of the thread through the eye. When the thread gets through a little, let go of the thread and use that hand to pull it the rest of the way through.

Image via lookarabia

Ta-da! You now have a threaded needle! Next time, we’ll talk about how to make the knot. And, in case you missed it last time, you can check out part 1 here.

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.