This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

For those of you who have yet to listen to Fetish by Selena Gomez featuring Gucci Mane, do it right now.

In it, Selena is eerily sweet and melodic, creating horror movie vibes. She sings of love as a fetish, which it usually wouldn’t be considered, but Gucci’s brief rap in the middle explains that he cannot have enough of his lover’s affection, and that it is her fault. Between the rap and Selena’s verses, the overall idea given is one of extreme one-ended obsession.

Despite the creepy lyrics and insinuations, the song is ridiculously catchy, with a deep base, easily memorized lyrics, and a steady beat that sticks in your brain all day, pulling you in to listen to it on repeat. What really makes the song, though, is listening to it in conjunction with the hair-raising music video.

Image via:   InStyle

In the video, which has received over 50 million views, Selena thrashes around in a ’50s-style house, wearing a typical-style yellow ’50s housewife dress, wrecking the rambler and doing things associated with fetishes, like eating soap. She drops two full bags of groceries on the linoleum in the kitchen, writhes on the floor, smashes fruit, and generally makes a massive and very scary mess. In the dining room, she sits in a chair, soaking wet and staring at the candles burning down their wicks inch by inch, drawing Carrie vibes. Somehow by the end of the video, Selena is seen locked in an industrial freezer full of peaches. The entire video, for once, makes sense and goes accordingly with the lyrics. Too often now, YouTube videos are completely unrelated to the songs they are supposed to go with. They try too hard to be daring and different, but by reusing the old and taking advantage of people’s love of horror movies, the video turns a lot more heads than videos featuring entirely new plots and layouts. 

Although Fetish isn’t nearly as popular as It Ain’t Me, I think that the lyrics, music video, and sound of the song are better executed. The theme of Fetish is also highly unusual, whereas the lyrics of It Ain’t Me, or something very similar, can be found in almost every song on the pop radio stations right now. Fetish deserves more credit than it gets. As of this writing, it’s received slightly more than 85 million saves on Spotify, whereas It Ain’t Me has received well over 525 million saves. It Ain’t Me is also highly overplayed, so it’s time for something different. Take a listen to Fetish, and if you don’t immediately feel the epically creepy yet awesome vibes of the best horror movies of all time, perhaps you should consider eating that bar of soap. *This author does not actually condone the consumption of soap.*

Jennifer is an aspiring English and Spanish double major in her first year at Gettysburg. Her hobbies include acting, reading, and writing, of course. Her favorite color is cyan blue, and she will never object to someone buying her a Starbucks iced caramel macchiato with coconut milk :).
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.