This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Packing before you go abroad is daunting, especially if you do it the night before your flight like I did. Here are some simple, yet (hopefully) helpful tips for packing to go to Japan or going abroad in general. This is my personal experience living in the YUI dorms of Kansai Gaidai University in Hirakata City in Japan. Not everywhere is the same, so make sure to do some research!

Know your flight’s limits on suitcase size and weight

This is pretty straightforward, but it is better to check so you aren’t surprised by an extra fee at the airport.  

Research skin and haircare products to avoid extra weight in your suitcase

If you don’t have to bring your own shampoo, don’t! I brought huge bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and face wash thinking they wouldn’t have the right stuff where I was going. I was wrong, and wish I would have left that stuff at home because as I learned, Japanese hair and skincare products are amazing. 

Notebooks and stationery

Japan is known for its beautiful stationery and school products. So why did I bring two huge notebooks and a ton of worn-out pencils from home? I really don’t know, but please do not make my mistake. Campus bookstores often sell stationery, and here, they have huge selections. There are also stores off campus that specialize in stationery.  

Stationery section of a store (image credit Yelp)

Electronic items

Universal converter- I bought one because I wanted to have options based on where I was visiting. This can get tricky due to the country’s single-phase voltage amounts and plug type. But after you find that out, it is easy to find one online or in an electronic store. 

Extension cord- I didn’t bring one and I should have because of the position of the outlets and the amount of things I needed to plug in at once. 

Other electrical items- Each country has different plugs. Japan’s are very similar to the US, but with different wattages, so heavy usage items should be bought here so you don’t blow a circuit. For example, I got my hair dryer and straighter from a second-hand shop and they rock. 

Clothes

The fashion here is amazing and there are tons of thrift stores. I brought an outrageous amount of clothing, some of which I didn’t even wear. If you can, pack for the season you are currently in, and if you can, buy clothes when the weather changes. If you have some favorite pieces, you can bring them, but make sure you can mix and match. Pack outfits instead of individual pieces.Thrift Store in Japan (image credit: Jeannie)

Miscellaneous

I recommend looking for second-hand stores where you will be staying. I bought a lot of things, like silverware and hangers from an expensive store the first few days because I didn’t know there were a ton of awesome, cheap stores in the area like Izumiya, Daiso, and 100 yen stores(dollar stores). 

My main tip is don’t pack the night of your trip and try to get to know your area before you arrive. 

Tatiana Woliung

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From sunny San Diego, California, Tatiana is a religious studies major with a history and German double minor. She loves Star Wars, memes, and ice cream(even though she is very lactose intolerant). On campus she participates in fencing club, German club, and is a peer research mentor at the Musselman library.