In The Know with Yely Montano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Full Name:  Yely Montano

Year: 2018

Major/minor: Health Sciences

Hometown: Sterling, Virginia

Activities: Dance Ensemble, Alpha Phi Omega, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Big Brothers Big Sisters

Astrological Sign: Scorpio

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Q & A

What made you want to major in health sciences? At a young age I always knew I wanted to enter the sciences. I was one of those kids who would carry a little medical bag and put bandages on my dad when he claimed to have a “boo-boo.” I guess you could say I have always aspired to become a doctor, but entering college has opened my eyes to other fields within the healthcare field. I really do enjoy what I am learning even though it is difficult and I cannot wait to enter the field. I couldn’t imagine myself studying in other major let alone go to college if it weren’t for the sciences.

If you could star in any TV show, what would it be? Basically any criminal investigation show. Right now I’m catching up on Criminal Minds. When it comes to swabs, police tape, gloves, and clues I’m a huge geek.

What is your spirit animal? I would say my spirit animal is a cat. I enjoy long naps and filing my nails. I can be lovable, but I can also be distant at times if I feel I need to be. People often describe me as quiet or shy, but those close to me would say otherwise. Some may say cats are mean or troublesome or often disregard people, but I would say they are often misunderstood and they are actually cute, fluffy bundles of joy.

If you could fix one national or international problem, what would it be? Immigration rights in America. I am close to many families who have worked very hard within the country and still lack basic rights that would greatly improve their lives in America. I have had friends unable to pursue a higher education because they lack papers, or a family friend who has become ill and cannot keep up with the medical bills because they lack health insurance.

What is “your spot” on campus? When it comes to studying or getting work done you would find me on the main floor of the library, the Health Science lobby, or the Science Center lobby.

If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be? Fly me to the moon by Frank Sinatra

If you could create a class to take a Gettysburg, what would it be called? The Healthcare Gap in America: Healthcare is not a human right.

Originally from the Greater Los Angeles Area, Nicole is a sophomore at Gettysburg College with a major in English with a Writing Concentration and a Political Science Minor. She is iinvolved in choir, a cappella, and the literary magazine on campus. Her favorite food is shrimp fried rice, her favorite book of all time is F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and she loves corgis and cats.