Life > Experiences

I tried Tom Hanks’ new favorite drink combination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Back in January Tom Hanks appeared on the The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. While he was there, he talked to Colbert about a recent drink combination that he came up with and had tried. When I saw this, I instantly was intrigued. The drink combination is for those who are 21+ because it is diet coke with champagne. Now, before I talk about why I tried it, what I thought of it, and all of that, I have to preface this with the fact that those who know me well know I do not really drink soda. The only soda I would willingly reach for would be a ginger ale and even that is not an often occurrence. Also, I do not really drink alcohol at all. So, with that in mind, I expected to not like the drink. However, I was really eager to try it because it sounded like such a fascinating drink combination. 

The night before I turned 22 I finally got the chance to try it. I do have to be honest and admit I did not order it in a restaurant like Tom Hanks did when he originally concocted this combination, but I got some champagne and some diet coke and tried it at home. I was not sure what to expect because I had never really had diet coke before and I had only had champagane a couple of times during special occasions (weddings, etc). However, I am really excited to say that I LOVED it. I found that the two flavors paired really well together and it was a very flavor-filled drink. I found there to be a little bit of sweetness, but not too much. In my opinion it was just the right amount. I do not remember the exact brand of champagne that I used for this but I think it would work with any kind of champagne. I really enjoyed this combination and because of that I had it again two days later for the superbowl. Thank you to Tom Hanks for your creativity and inspiring me to try this drink combination, it gets a major thumbs up from me. I definitely plan to enjoy this creative drink combination again. 

Mary James

Gettysburg '23

Gettysburg College '23 WGS Major Education and English Minor Coffee Connoisseur