Style > Beauty

I tried Scarlett Johansson’s Skin Care Line (My Honest Review)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

I have to admit that I had never done any kind of skin care regimen until I was 21. It was just something that I never thought to do. However, last summer, I experienced a really bad breakout and as a result, got really freaked out. I immediately knew I needed to do something and since it felt like everyone all over social media was sharing their skincare routines, I knew it was time for me to create one. I was lost, to say the least. It turns out there are so many products out there and I did not even know where to start. Coincidentally, a few months earlier, Scarlett Jonasson had launched her skincare brand “The Outset”. I only knew about this because I had seen interviews with her where she talked about it. I knew Scarlett from Marvel and was already a fan so I decided to look into her new brand. I knew I needed something for sensitive skin and something simple and easy to follow. I decided to splurge and buy the starter kit to test out Scarlett’s brand to see if I liked it and if my skin responded well to it.

I was very excited when the package arrived. The starter set includes mini-bottles of each of the three necessary parts of the regiment. Part of what attracted me to “The Outset” originally was how simple the basic skin care regimen was. Because I had never done a skincare routine before, I knew I would not have any idea how to use any product so it was helpful that this seemed relatively simple. The three-step basic skin care regimen involves a cleanser, prep serum, and moisturizer. When the package with the skin care arrived, I went to the Instagram page for the brand and found a video of Scarlett doing the three-step routine. She explained each part and filmed herself doing the routine. Even though instructions came with the package, it was really helpful to watch the video on Instagram. After watching it a couple of times, I felt ready to try the routine the next morning.

The next morning, I tried it. It ended up being way simpler than I thought. To do the three steps, I lightly wet my face and then applied the cleanser. Then I washed off the cleanser gently and patted my face dry. Next, I added the vegan prep serum. One thing I learned is that not much is needed and a little goes a long way. After the prep serum, I applied the moisturizer, and I was done! I waited a few minutes to see if my skin would do anything odd since I have very sensitive skin, and I am so excited to report that nothing happened! Not only did nothing bad happen, my skin felt refreshed and I felt refreshed and excited. I continued this routine until I ran out of the sample starter bottles and then made the decision to order the regular-sized bottles. I felt confident spending my money on this because I felt it was the right thing for my skin and since a little goes a long way, I knew the regular-sized bottles would last a long time. Not only do I think this skincare routine has been good for my skin, but I also would say it has been good for my mental health. I notice a difference between the days when I do the routine and the days I forget or do not have time. It might sound silly, but when I do it, I feel better, my mental health is better, and the routine helps me to be more productive during the day.

Overall, I LOVE “The Outset” and am excited to eventually try other products that they have. It was a good investment for me and it has been a very positive experience so far. They recently just released a new mask and I am very excited to try it. I give “The Outset” a 10/10 and I am really excited for Scarlett and her co-founder Kate. 

Mary James

Gettysburg '23

Gettysburg College '23 WGS Major Education and English Minor Coffee Connoisseur