This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

With the 2020 election just around the corner and primary season currently upon us, politics seems to be leaking into every aspect of our lives. Here are a few tips on how to discuss politics in a productive, healthy way.

Listen

Listening is important for any conversation but when it comes to politics, it’s super important! If you don’t listen to the other people in the room, you’ll never be able to properly address their concerns or ideas.

Attack ideas; not people

Regardless of whether or not you think someone is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., verbally attacking someone is the fastest way to shut down a discussion. Instead of name-calling or using insults, explain why a particular viewpoint is against what you believe or what your experiences are.

Don’t raise your voice

Similar to attacking people, raising your voice is a quick way to convince people to stop listening. When you start yelling, your argument becomes invalid to the other person and you come off as unreasonable and emotional. It’s okay to have strong feelings and opinions but getting worked up will not win people to your side!

Know when to walk away

Sometimes, discussions don’t go anywhere. And that’s okay. But try to disengage before you get to the point where you are yelling, insulting someone, or saying something you will regret. Even if the discussion isn’t escalating, walking away from a debate that isn’t going anywhere is okay to do!

This 2020 election season, make your conversations more productive and maybe change more opinions!

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!