This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Halloween is a fun time of year with costumes, parties, and scary movies. Unfortunately, it’s really easy be turned off Halloween if the people around you are not supportive in the way you need them to be. Below are some simple ways you can show your friends you care about them and support their choices!

Shut down slut shaming

Slut shaming is always a problem, but Halloween seems to bring out the worst of it. Dressing up in costume is a lot of fun. Many women use it as a way to show more skin than they might normally feel comfortable showing, and that’s okay! What a woman wears says nothing about what kind of person she is, so if you hear others making comments about someone else’s clothes, make sure to shut it down. Just a quick “It’s her body” or “There’s nothing wrong with what she’s wearing!” will make a positive impact.

Support body positivity

Similar to slut shaming, body shaming is a disgustingly real part of Halloween. The idea that a person’s body should dictate what they can and can’t wear is ridiculous. It’s important that women support each other, regardless if you’re plus size or petite! A simply way to do this is to give compliments to people you see. This is especially important if that person has been body shamed for wearing what they want.

Avoid cultural appropriation

It’s important to always remember women of color when discussing female empowerment. Wearing someone else’s cultural attire as a costume is insulting, and often contributes to stereotyping. When you pick out your costume, make sure not to dress as a Native American, ‘gypsy,’ or a religious figure, as these are all common, inappropriate costumes. To be an even better ally, take time to address cultural appropriation if you see other people partaking in it.  

Keep an eye on friends

Women have it drilled into their heads to look out for each other when they go out, but Hallo-weekend is not the time to let down your guard. Always make sure you have a safe way to get home at night, watch your drinks, and make sure that none of your friends wander off alone. Women need to take care of each other mentally and physically. 

Be aware of people’s comfort zones

A lot of people like the scary part of Halloween, but a lot of people don’t. Some people might not celebrate it at all due to religious or cultural reasons. It’s really important that you get a feel for your friend’s comfort zones and that you respect them so everyone has a good time. This might mean avoiding scary movies, going into a haunted house with someone else, or simply asking your friends if they’re okay. Also be aware that some people might have had experiences in the past that make aspects of Halloween uncomfortable for them. It’s totally okay to not want to participate in some parts of the holiday, and it’s important to acknowledge that!

Halloween is supposed to be fun, but some people don’t always act in a respectful and supportive way. If you want the people around you to enjoy the day, make sure to be supportive and make them feel empowered!

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!