This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Love Halloween? Just enjoy dressing up sometimes? Super into costumes? If you said yes to any of these questions, then Halloween is totally for you. But that doesn’t mean that your budget agrees. Whether you just can’t find a good costume for the character you want or your budget won’t allow for a big spend this year, making your own costume can be the perfect solution.

Making your costume can not only make a costume miles cheaper, but also super unique. Here are some steps you can take and things to keep in mind when making your own costume.

First off, always look in your own closet first. Oftentimes you can always make at least half the costume from things you already own. There are also plenty of modern characters who’s costume can be made of completely modern clothes. And be creative! Even if you don’t have the exact clothes the character has canonically worn, then choose an outfit that looks like something they’d wear.

Image via Drogistory

Don’t have a super necessary costume piece? Try modifying something. Sometimes this can be the perfect reason to treat yourself a little by buying something that you would wear anyway. It’s ok to splurge a little every now and again. And by making it something you would wear anyway, you’re still keeping the cost down. Not to mention that thrift shopping is perfect for costuming!

If you still need something more specific, then try googling DIY costumes for that character. Chances are that someone has designed and created a costume for that character before. And chances are even better that they have a tutorial for it up online. Don’t be afraid to use the resources that are out there.

Image via Rea Gun Rambling

Don’t know how to do something? Again, look up a tutorial. There are plenty of videos and illustrated tutorials out there. Look up the specific method you don’t know and combine it with the rest of the information you have. Need a place to start? Take a look at our sewing tutorials starting here.

Still confused? Need a visual example? Then keep an eye out for our example coming soon!

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.