Homecoming Game in the Eyes of First Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Homecoming: a time for returning to your alma mater. In this event explicitly created for those who know and love Gettysburg, how do those of us still new to campus fare? Here are some thoughts that may have been running through the first years’ minds during the game.

Where’s the student section?

A lot of high school students are devouted to their football team. There is a good chance first years are coming from schools where games consisted of a large group of spirited students crowded together in the stands. Gettysburg’s enthusiasm for football is slightly different. The stands were much less crowded and a majority of the people there weren’t even students.

All these Alumni

So, if a majority of the crowd isn’t students, who are they? Well, there were some professors and college staff, some parents, and A LOT of alumni (which makes sense seeing as it’s Homecoming). For the first years who are having a hard enough time learning all the faces of the current students on campus, all these new (or should I say old?) faces getting mixed in are confusing.

How do I get my CYC credit?

A lot of students lured to the game by the promise of CYC credit (part of the new elective option in this year’s Charting Your Course program), but many of them had difficulty finding where to swipe their cards. While watching the game, it’s likely this thought was distracting at least a few.

Where to look?

The cheerleaders had some incredible pyramids going throughout the game— there were a couple times when I had to do a double-take because I missed something in the game while watching them!

All in all, it was a great chance to experience another element of college. Spirit levels always go up when you’re cheering for your team!

English Education major at Gettysburg College. My friends hate me for correcting their grammar, but I know they secretly appreciate it.