Here is a reminder to also love yourself on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

With Valentine’s Day past, love is bound to be on many people’s minds. People celebrated their partners, their friends, or both. However, I feel as though we rarely take anytime during the Valentine’s season to express self-love. It is so much easier to focus on love when it is for another person, but what about ourselves? Yes, relationships and friendships are important, there is no denying that. But, one of the most important relationships that we have is the one we have with ourselves. So, here is your reminder to take a little time during this Valentine’s season to focus on self-love. I firmly believe self-love is a practice, something we all have to consciously work at. It is not always easy, I know for me personally I am my own worst critic. However, I challenged myself this Valentine’s Day to show myself some love and support.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love love. I really do. I love wholesome love stories and I think love should absolutely be celebrated. What I am trying to say is that ALL love should be celebrated and acknowledged. This includes love for a partner, a friend, AND you. Yes, this might sound silly, it might seem weird, but I truly believed if we were all a little kinder to ourselves and showed ourselves love, then we would be able to send more love out into the world.

A few weeks ago I bought myself flowers. There was no reason or occasion for me to, but I did because I wanted to. I thought they were beautiful and would look great in my dorm room. Not only were the flowers beautiful, but every time I looked at them, they made me smile. I knew they would, I know myself and I love flowers. That is the best part about self-love; we all know what we love, so don’t be afraid to treat yourself! It can be anything from flowers, to a coffee, or simply just saying a positive affirmation about yourself. You deserve it.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine’s season and that we all made a little extra time to love ourselves in addition to whoever else we celebrated.

Mary James

Gettysburg '23

Gettysburg College '23 WGS Major Education and English Minor Coffee Connoisseur