This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

This is the story of how I decided to go natural again. This story will be told in multiple parts because the journey to becoming natural is a long journey. The first and hardest part of this journey is deciding to become natural. I have been thinking of going natural since my second perm in High School, but I didn’t know how to convince my mother. She liked how easy my straight hair was to comb and manage, and I don’t blame her because it was easy to manage. It was also very pretty. I like how I looked, but I didn’t like how dry and lifeless it made my ends feel. I soon realized that not only did I want pretty hair, I also want healthy hair, so I started the journey to becoming natural. 

The Beginning 

The first thing I thought about was whether I was going to do the Big Chop or grow out my perm. The Big Chop is when you shave off all your hair and start anew. This is great because you are getting rid of all your damaged hair. Plus it is faster than growing out the perm. I decided not to do the Big Chop, but to instead cut off a few inches into a bob to help stimulate hair growth as I grow out my perm. Now that my hair is short, I have to protect it from the dust particles and other things in the air. Here is how I keep my hair protected from the harshness of the world, while it’s trying my best to still look stylish and cute. 

Braids 

One of the most common protective hairstyles is braids. If you don’t know what braids are, they are fake hair braided into your hair- hence the name braids. There are many types of braids and styles that come with it. I’m not going to tell you all the types, if you are interested and want to know more, you should ge to Google and research it. It’s pretty cool and educational. I usually wear my braids long, only adding a few inches to my hair and in different colors (red, blue and pink). The picture below is similar to how my braids usually look. Moving forward, braids are super helpful in stimulating hair growth, because your hair remains unbothered and protected from all the rough stuff you constantly puts in it. Therefore, if you are considering going natural you should also consider putting in some braids. It’s best if you leave in your braids for at least 2 weeks. But I generally leave it for 3 months for the best results (and yes you could wash your hair in braids, Google it). 

Hair Wraps/ Turban 

Currently, my hair is in wraps almost every day, I’m at the point in my journey where my natural hair has grown out so much that it doesn’t look pretty with my straight ends. So I cover it with hair wraps. I’m also too lazy to find hairstyles that will work with my current hair condition. It is also common for people to wear wraps or a turban depending on who you are talking to when transitioning back to natural hair. There are many ways to wear hair wrap: The Top Knot, The Cinnamon Roll, The Big Bun, The Bee-Hive, etc. Though I mostly use the Cinnamon Roll and have yet to explore the other many types. It’s important to recognize that hair wraps and turbans have sufficient importance in black culture and are linked to African and Middle Eastern cultures. It is not only used for the purpose of transitioning back to natural hair, but also plays an important role in Black, African, Hispanic and Middle Eastern cultures. I’m in love with hair wraps and highly recommend it. 

Weaves/Wigs 

Another helpful method in the natural process is wearing wigs or sew-in weaves. I personally don’t wear either, but a lot of people do. Wigs and weaves are very stylish, and they help you look and feel your best. One thing I learned during this journey is that feeling beautiful helps you withhold the urge to revert back to perm or relaxed hair. And wigs and weaves get the job done. Like braids, they are effective in helping your hair to grow because it leaves it unbothered. I don’t know much about wigs or weaves, so if you have more questions about it, you should totally research it or watch some videos on YouTube. 

This is only one chapter of my natural journey. I’ll be posting more articles about updates in my process, the ups and downs of becoming natural. If you are thinking of becoming natural or is simply curious about it, I hope this article proves useful for you. If not I’m sorry and will try to make my next article better. Thank you for joining me on this journey and would love if you’ll continue it with me! 

Lureann Semple

Gettysburg '22

Lureann Semple is from Guyana, South America and resides in New York City. She's currently a sophomore at Gettysburg, College, with a double major in East Asian Studies with a Chinese track and Globalization Studies. Some of her greatest passion is writing monologues, dancing to hip hop and tradition music and cooking traditional Guyanese meals.