Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Like You’re in Charge of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Source:  https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/384/18686062271_c75c3f4e82_b.jpg

Cooking is one of the most important skills that any college student should have, but it is one that many students don’t have the time to learn before graduating. Now, on my second year of having no meal plan, I have had plenty of time to practice and perfect some easy recipes that take very little effort and can be done alongside finishing my multitudes of papers.

How to Upgrade Store-Bought Pasta Sauce

Honestly, pasta sauce is pretty easy to upgrade and doesn’t take 24 hours of slow-cooking sausage and meatballs, which costs a ton of money for ingredients and takes a decent amount of attention. Take any sauce—I like Ragu’s marinara sauce, because it adds a meaty flavor without having to cook meat within the sauce—and add four simple spices: basil, oregano, garlic powder and parsley. These spices—especially the basil and garlic powder—are potent in small doses, so make sure you only add a little at a time and give the sauce a few minutes to absorb the flavors. Taste constantly, add your own spices, and make the sauce your own. For just a few dollars, you can build a delicious sauce from an inexpensive tomato base.

How to Make Roasted Vegetables

Veggies are simple, make you look put together, and take about as much effort as heating up Easy Mac in the microwave. Simply cut up your favorite veggies into bite-sized pieces, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of garlic powder and chili powder, and bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes (based on the density of the vegetables). Serve as a side dish with your favorite meats, and save the rest for up to a week!

How to Make Perfect Scrambled Eggs

Eggs are a classic, and everyone needs an easy breakfast that takes minutes to whip up. Take two eggs, sprinkle some salt, pepper, and paprika, add a splash of milk, and scramble together. To add creaminess, sprinkle a little shredded Monterey Jack onto the eggs after you’ve added the mix to the pan. Final note: don’t cook the eggs fully on the heat! Your pan retains heat once you’ve preheated it, so turn off the burner once the eggs look 90% done. The hot pan will finish cooking your eggs, and you’re guaranteed a delicious breakfast.

Source: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3745/12110457094_457ec7249d_b.jpg

That One Easy Vegan Recipe Everyone Should Know

Everyone should have at least one vegan recipe that they can whip up to please any and every dinner guest. Sauté russet potatoes, red cabbage, and a sweet onion in a frying pan on low heat for about 20 minutes, and add taco seasoning to the mixture once it’s cooked in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Serve on top of corn tortillas and top with a few slices of fresh avocado. Guaranteed to please any dinner guest that enters your door!

Sweet and Spicy Guacamole for Your Eventual Super Bowl Party

This simple recipe is guaranteed to make you a hit at any party. Mix together the following basic ingredients: 3-4 mashed ripe avocadoes, two small plum tomatoes (chopped, with seeds removed), a quarter of an onion (chopped), the juice of 1 lime, a teaspoon of cumin, and a tablespoon of cilantro (fresh if you can get it). To make it both sweet and spicy, add a teaspoon of paprika and half of a chopped mango. Instant party favorite!

TIP: You know how keeping the pit inside an avocado keeps it fresher longer? Put one of the avocado pits in the guacamole! Helps to keep it fresh way better than lime juice (which I love for the flavor).

Lexi is a Psychology and English with a Writing Concentration double major at Gettysburg College. In her free time, you can find her watching Chopped, writing poems, and eating dry Cheerios out of the box.