This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

There were so many great memes in recent years. As a memester myself, I love seeing such growth in meme culture. From the general life memes you find on Instagram to mending celebrities and politicians or just random people who do ridiculous things. Memes are becoming more and more a part of American culture. Some of my personal favorites are, in no particular order:

1) Obama/ Biden memes

These gave me so much life in the wake of our current president’s inauguration and future presidency. They were funny and even Obama and Biden embraced the memes. Obama even made one for Joe’s birthday (Obama Wishes Biden Happy Birthday).  

2) Donald Trump Executive Order Memes

Out of all the Trump memes, these are my personal favorite. The meme originally came from this, the day Trump decided to sign a number of executive orders including one on leaving the trade pact known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership on January 23, 2017.

3) Relatable Animals

Cute and relatable animals have brought me and the internet so much life and joy. They are just so cute while conveying exactly what I am feeling inside every single day of my life.

4) Relatable memes, sometimes too relatable

NOT CUTE! TOO RELATABLE! STOP! Most of these faces are not attractive, cartoon character or otherwise. Celebrities, movie characters, or just a random guy’s face from an internet site  all bring us so much relatable content (creepy how anyone can just get your picture and put it in a meme, what if you are already a meme?).

5) Classic Art Memes

Napoleon Born2Partaaaayyy* the best part about them for me is that they are technically historical fiction.

6) The Floor is Lava

There are so many variations on this particular meme. Hilarious content and a definite relatability that can apply to our daily lives while also being totally outlandish and ridiculous at times.

7) If you play this on New Year’s Eve

You cannot talk about memes in 2017 without talking about these. However, I did not personally try one. The meme grew in popularity early-mid December as everyone was preparing for New Year’s Eve.

8) Left off Exit 12

You know that feeling when you almost miss an exit on the highway and you really need to get there otherwise fifteen minutes of your life are wasted? These memes capture that feeling and apply it to so many other situations, ridiculous or relatable.

9) SpOnGe bOb MoCkInG

A figure of our childhood imagination turned into a meme. Dream come true. Although some could argue that sponge bob was a meme the whole time, long before it was taken over by Millennials.

10) Me to me

Kermit could also be considered a meme from a time when memes are not as widely acknowledged as they are now. This is a true masterpiece though, cause those really are the voices in most of our heads.

11) Porgs

They are just so adorable and go with any decor on the internet. I love them. They are precious.

12) Living in 3017

These memes are here to acknowledge those people who have transcended technology, space, and time, and done things the world never thought to do. Whether it be these things were never thought of, considered impractical, or just plain strange, these memes set out to acknowledge that whatever works, works.

13) White guy blinking

The guy who inspired this meme actually works for a gaming company and has a lot to say about becoming a meme

14) Feel old yet?

Yes. We are old. I feel old.

15) Distracted Boyfriend

People have come up with a whole bunch of endings to this stock photo that became a meme, but that one is really my favorite. But no matter what your perfect ending is, this meme has captured the hearts and imaginations that makes the internet what it is today.

Writer, equestrian, learning disabled, feminist, woman, friend, sister, daughter, student and so much more but that's just the basics of me Identify as she, her, hers Sexual Orientation: No label From: Connecticut (in the small end sticking out from the rest of the state) Age: 20 Year: Sophomore Major and minors: Finally decided English Major Pets: two dogs and two horses (one shown in headshot) Favorite Color: Gray Favorite Animal(s): Horse(obviously), Orca, Wolf Favorite Quote: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us." — Marianne Williamson Favorite Female Character(s): Emma Carstairs (Dark Artificiates, same author as The Mortal Instruments), Emma Swan (ONCE), Natalia Alianova Romanoff (Black Widow) Aelin Ashryver Galathynius (Throne Of Glass), Margaret “Peggy” Carter (Captain America), Elizabeth “Lizzie” Bennett (Pride and Prejudice), Catherine Earnshaw (Wuthering Heights), Olivia Dunham (FRINGE), Anna Mae Harkness aka Annalise Keating (HTGAWM), and Evelyn Salt (SALT), just to name a few
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.