This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Recently, Gettysburg College was added to the long list of campuses with reports of alleged clown sightings.  If you’ve been living under a rock, these aren’t BoBo and JoJo, these are Pennywise.  

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) responded within a few days, summarizing it as a “social media hoax.”  While I personally struggle with this designation (I guess it’s just the hidden conspiracy theorist in me), it’s gotten me thinking.  

Image via:  Giphy

DPS includes in their update a list of precautions to take if you feel uncomfortable walking home at night, etc..  That’s all good, but what is being lost in this picture is that college-aged women, and ALL women for this matter, live in constant fear of the dark.  

Image via:  Flickr

We aren’t children, but we’re plagued by the unmasked clowns:  the rapists, the muggers, and the general populous of allies and nighttime street, all just waiting to take advantage of some unsuspecting collegiette. 

It’s absolutely absurd that in 2016—the chronological height of the modern era—we still have to walk with our keys slipped between two fingers. That we have to scan the DPS website when back to school shopping, just to check if pepper spray is allowed.  That you can’t leave a party until your louder friends want to, so you can avoid leaving alone in the dark (and, god forbid, after having a few drinks—can’t we live?). 

This isn’t a Gettysburg College problem;  DPS does what’s in their power.  This is a national and, I dare say, global problem.  

It’s absurd that our politicians aren’t discussing this issue.  It’s absurd that Donald Trump can run for president in light of his comments toward women, a roughly 50% chunk of the voting population (and don’t try to tell me that Clinton is “just as bad” for remaining married to Bill because, quite frankly, you’re wrong).   

What Gettysburg needs—what the world needs—is action.  Write to your lawmakers until they’re sick of seeing your name come across their desk.  Fill out that online petition.  Volunteer for Survivor’s Inc, or another organization doing their part.  Be heard.  Be active.  Stand up.  

All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinions of Her Campus at Gettysburg or of Her Campus Media, LLC.  

Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.