This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.
Start studying early

It’s never too early to start reviewing the material. In my Sociology Field Methods course, my professor always begins the lecture with some review questions, and these questions could be from the last class to all the way back to the first class! This helps us recall the information that we’ve learned throughout the course and keeps the material fresh in our brains. Constantly recalling the information throughout the course will help you remember it for the test and beyond the class!

Study with friends

Studying with friends is always a great option, especially when you are in the course together. When you are in the class together, you can bounce ideas off each other and make sure the material you are reviewing is correct. Studying with a friend who is not in the same class can also be highly beneficial because this allows you to explain the material to someone else, showing how well you know it. Either way, talking through concepts aloud will help you remember them and give you a better understanding!

Make a quizlet/study guide

I am definitely a Quizlet girly, but you could make whatever type of study set that works for you and your course! Most of the time, my method of studying depends on the type of class I am in. When the material is more black and white (with terms and definitions), I’ll make a Quizlet that I can flip through on my own or with a friend. When the material is more conceptual and application-based, I’ll fill out a Google Doc study guide and have a friend (usually my roommate) ask me questions that I have to answer.

pick a comfy study spot

Everyone has different preferences for where they like to do homework and study. Personally, I like to do homework in my room because I like the lack of social interaction as a distraction (and my comfy bed), but I know many people like to keep their bedroom a space purely for sleep and relaxation. Some people also prefer having background noise going on while they work and study, so it’s really just up to individual preferences. If you find that one study space does not work well for you, try a different one! You never know when you’ll find the perfect cozy corner to settle into and focus.

ask the professor for help

If you have a hard time understanding the material, don’t be afraid to go to your professor and ask about it! They are professionals in the subject that are there to help you. I know this can be scary for some, but most of the time the professors want to see us succeed and really understand the material, so they are generally willing to help (especially here at Gettysburg). However, if you truly do not want to go to the professor, classes generally have a student PLA/TA that you can also ask for help, so this could also be a great resource for asking for help too.

Aynsley Lane

Gettysburg '26

Aynsley Lane is a part of the editing team for the Gettysburg Her Campus chapter. She is a new member this year. Aynsley is a sophomore this year at Gettysburg College, double majoring in Psychology and Sociology, with a minor in Neuroscience. She is the social chair of the Women's Club Rugby team, a member of the Bullets Marching band, Gettysburg Writing Association, APO service fraternity, and her class president! When she’s not doing homework, Aynsley can be found watching documentaries and YouTube, listening to music, and hanging out with friends.