courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Woman Crush Wednesday: Kay Butler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

This Wednesday we are highlighting Kay Butler as our Woman Crush! Kay is a junior at Georgia Southern University with a major in Political Science and minor in Psychology. She is from Bainbridge, GA and was born on April 8, 1998. To learn more about her, I sat down with Kay one afternoon and asked her a few questions.

Who has inspired you in your life and why?

Kay: “I’d say my mock trial coaches Michelle and Michael White. I met them in high school when they introduced me to mock trial. Their guidance helped me build confidence and ultimately pushed me out of my comfort zone. My experience with mock trial really laid the foundation for what I do now.”

Kay is the president of Mock Mediation Club here in GSU’s Statesboro campus and very exciting things have been happening within the org.

“We plan to compete next semester and host one of the Spring competitions here on campus. I can hardly contain my excitement during meetings. We meet every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the Carroll Building and my team is amazing. We’re getting so much work done in preparation for Spring.”

What are the titles of the last three books you have read? Tell me which one is your favorite and why?

Kay: “I’ve read The New Jim Crow, Martin and Malcolm and America, and The Sun and Her Flowers. The New Jim Crow is my favorite out of the three because it changed my perspective on systemic racism and oppression. Reading the book allowed me to gain insight within the field of law and the criminal justice system. I’ve wanted to be an attorney since the age of 8 but reading The New Jim Crow helped me realize exactly what I wanted to combat.” What do you want to combat exactly? “The systemic oppression of Black people in America, and more specifically Black males. I feel like I can accomplish this by taking on a role as an attorney.”

Who is your favorite music artist of all time?

Kay: “Prince! Duh. He’s an icon. His artistry and impact on the music and fashion industry is timeless. I even have his Purple Rain album on vinyl. It’s one of my most prized possessions.”

In what ways do you express yourself?

Kay: “I love tattoos and piercings. As of now I only have two tattoos and two piercings. I had my nose pierced but I had to get it removed because, you know, professionalism. I’ll definitely have more soon though.”

Have you made any lifestyle changes as of late?

Kay: Yes! I have. About 3 months ago I decide to start my loc journey. It forces me to take better care of my body because healthy body = healthy hair. This journey has taught me so much and I’ve gotten so patient with myself and my hair in the process.

What is your political lens?

Kay: “I’d say that I’m neither liberal or conservative. My views regarding politics are contingent upon the issues at hand. I’m starting to realize that my viewpoints change as I learn more and grow within my major and that’s okay.”

It’s been a pleasure to sit down with Kay and ask her about her favorite topics and interests. If you want to stay updated on Kay’s org and their competitions, follow @GSU_Mediation on Twitter!

JaQuitta Sophia

Georgia Southern '20

Hi! I'm JaQuitta Sophia and I am a Black, queer non-binary writer who aims to use their passion for writing to uplift, inspire and educate.