But We All Love Princesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

So I’m sure you all know by now that a live-action Cinderella movie has just come out. I’m just as excited to see it as everyone else. But it got me thinking and I’ve come to a startling realization. Almost every movie that has come out recently is a retelling or a remake. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing or anything, but I have to wonder if people can’t seem to find the imagination necessary to come out with new things. Granted, Maleficent was sort of new and exciting, but it also has a kind of Wicked feel about it. There is still a whole wonderful aspect of changing the story going on – like not having Maleficent herself turn into a dragon, but it’s not quite the same feel is it?

And I’ve heard through the grapevine that Mulan is going to be joining in on this live action movie turnover. (Still really excited for that.) I guess my main point is that yeah, I’m totally cool with all the remakes – especially the live action Disney princess movies – but I’m still wishing for new things to come out. I know movie production has been kind of stuck in this repetitive cycle of predictability, but I know there are people out there who can come up with the new and exciting. It’s now just a matter of getting to them I suppose. 

Samantha Harvey

Georgia Southern

I was born in New York. I go to Georgia Southern University. I love to write and read.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.