This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

In astrology, your sun sign (or zodiac sign) is associated with the exact day and month that you were born, and in my opinion, serves as the gateway into astrology! As a result of astrology becoming more mainstream, the sun sign is now the sign that most people are familiar with. For instance, we all know someone who calculates the sun sign of a child before the parent even gives birth! This practice is tied to the sacred and complex system of astrology that has the potential to tell us so much more about ourselves.

Discovering your sun placement in astrology makes room for you to discover the tool that explains who you are and why you do the things that you do: your birth chart. Your birth chart (or natal chart) reveals the planets and their placements on the day of your birth. In order to construct your birth chart, you’ll need to know the time, birthplace, and exact date you were born. Your calculations should display the three most important features of the chart: your sun, moon, rising signs.

Your moon sign is the second most important feature within your birth chart because it represents the ways in which you handle your emotions and even the way you love. If you’ve ever met someone who has the same sun sign as you but has completely different personality traits, this is most likely why! The behavioral traits of your moon sign are revealed during times of significant stress and conflict, as well as intimate attraction. Finding out your moon sign can help you discover which people you are more and least compatible with.

Your rising sign– also known as your ascendant– is the sign that represents your general impression on people. It’s the sign that people may mistake you for being when they first meet you because it reveals how other people see you, not how you see yourself.

Although this is an integral part of the practice, astrology is much more than just zodiac signs and horoscopes. It allows us to delve deeper inside of ourselves and explore the universes paramount role in our existence.

JaQuitta Sophia

Georgia Southern '20

Hi! I'm JaQuitta Sophia and I am a Black, queer non-binary writer who aims to use their passion for writing to uplift, inspire and educate.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.