Tattoo of the Month: Jessie Frary ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Name: Jessie Frary

Hometown: Athens, GA

Year: Senior

Major: Art

Minor: Journalism & Creative Writing

Hobbies: Cooking, singing, playing with my mutt Opie Fedora, longboarding, traveling, working on my music magazine called Good Night Magazine, occasionally playing video games, booking shows at the Wormhole venue in Savannah, and doing band PR work with Persistent Heart Media. I wish another hobby was sleep.

HC: “What is your tattoo?”

JF: “It’s a mermaid reaching out to a seahorse.”

HC: “What is the story behind it?”

JF: “I’ve always loved the ocean. I love marine life, I love the beach and I love the salty air. As a kid, I was a freak for tidal waves and looking for shells. I still am! Mythology involving the ocean such as Greek mythology, mermaids, Moby Dick, and fairy tales has always interested me. I wanted this tattoo for three years. I wanted a mermaid reaching out to a seahorse. I started on my side piece February 2011, the day after attending a Jimmy Eat World show at the music venue right next to the tattoo shop called The 40 Watt Club.”

HC: “Who did your tattoo? Where did you get it done?”

JF: “Graham Bradford formerly of Pain and Wonder who is now a solo artist. He did such an amazing job. It came out better than I could have ever imagined. It was uniquely his styles with his flourishes, which he draws from the art nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha. I’ve never seen a tattoo artist with his style. Everyone can either do old school or Sailor Jerry tattoos, which I don’t care for. His color choice is on point (pun intended? Sure) and his ability and his ability to add depth and do everything without harsh edges and outlines is unparalleled. I’ve actually recognized his work on someone else and asked, “Graham did that, didn’t he?” And he had! That’s what I love about this mermaid, no one else will have it. It’s not something that’s in a book that 400 others can point at and go, “that one.” I will never go to anyone else, he is my artist for life! I plan on going back to him in March 2015. Can’t wait!”

May we have a look?

Journalism major. 22. Georgia Southern. 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.