This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Haven’t been feeling like yourself lately? Struggling to get back into the flow of school? Haven’t been looking like yourself? Spending money on clothes with nowhere to go? It’s okay I think we’ve all gotten to that point but here’s how you overcome it. In the great words of Shakespeare “To thine own self be true”, obviously this quote had a different meaning considering it was from Hamlet. But today it means to be true to yourself and take care of yourself no matter the circumstances. 

• Self Care: Everyone preaches about self-care whether it’s mental health or a simple beauty day, but let’s dive deeper. 

1. Clear Skin Tips

• Rule #1: Watch what you eat fast food, candy, juice, junk food, in general, can take a major toll on your skin. Try to replace candy with fruit like frozen grapes and juices with artificial sugars with fruit smoothies. 

• Rule #2: We’ve all heard this before but I’m going to say it again. 

Water is going to flush your system and clear your kidneys of toxins. Don’t settle for boring water either lemon water, cucumber water, and grapefruit water all aid in detoxing not only your skin but your body as well.

• Rule #3: Get your sleep please they don’t call it beauty sleep for no reason. Getting an adequate amount of sleep at night is a big factor when it comes to clear skin. The skin develops new collagen when you sleep which helps your skin repair itself. 

• Rule #4: Develop a routine you will never see results in anything you do if you aren’t consistent. With that being said develop a routine for your skin and stick with it. Exfoliate every other night, tone your skin, and put on a lightweight moisturizer (I use aloe vera gel). In the morning do the same thing: wash your face with your product of choice, tone, and apply a moisturizer specifically one with SPF in it to avoid discoloration and obvious skin damage. Let’s not forget the face mask which I’m sure we all love. Make sure to do a mask at least once a week for relaxation purposes and to treat your skin. If you have sensitive skin I highly recommend using natural products; such as the aloe vera plant, tea tree oil, peppermint oil,  lemon,  apple cider vinegar, green tea, and oatmeal.

1. Mental Health Hacks:

• Rule #1: The importance of journaling isn’t stressed enough. If you struggle to express your thoughts or you just have a lot on your mind in general write it down. Your thoughts, your feelings, your aspirations, anything you feel is weighing you down. I promise you’ll feel so free afterward. 

• Rule #2: Positive Affirmations are key. When you wake up in the morning  tell yourself that you are worth it and capable of doing anything that you put your mind to. The thing about that is I guarantee there is someone who believes in you so you need to believe in yourself that exact same way. If you said that there isn’t I believe in you and all you need is one person. 

• Rule #3: Don’t beat yourself up. I think we tend to forget that we are in college, we’re still growing not only that we are still human. We make mistakes, some mistakes are avoidable but granted we still make them doesn’t make you less than anything or anyone. So here’s a gentle reminder that you’re still learning. 

• Rule #4: Comparison will kill you! I mean that it will mentally. Social media is full of people posting their accomplishments and sometimes even their failures. Relax! Don’t compare yourself to anybody you see, don’t even think that someone is doing better than you. Your time is coming that doesn’t mean sit around and wait for something to happen that means get up and work to make your dreams come true the best way you see fit. Feel free to ask people for guidance and instead of comparing your life to someone else’s, use their accomplishments as inspiration because you know one day that will be you.

• Money Management: Alright for the lucky souls that received refunds here’s how you manage that money. I know we’ve been buying clothes and shoes with nowhere to go for months and that was before the refund. But before we rush to our favorite websites let’s put some thought into this.

• Tip #1: Mom always said “Money doesn’t grow on trees” so go ahead and set some of that money to the side for emergency purposes. Who knows what could happen. I’m not talking ten dollars either! 

• Tip #2: Ladies let’s practice budgeting. We love to splurge and we will find any reason to treat ourselves. Set yourself an allowance for the week and make it stretch honey! We are still in college and regardless of the amount of money you may be bringing in you don’t want to spend it all. 

• Tip #3: Has anyone ever thought of investing?  Make your money make money for you. Invest in yourself. *sent in invisible ink* No seriously start a business, take some of that refund money and start your lash line, your hair business, your photography business. I mean the possibilities are endless, just do something productive. 

• School Tips: Yeah campus isn’t the same and honestly college has been feeling really optional lately. Nevertheless, let’s get this degree!

• Tip #1: This is just a rule of thumb; print out your syllabi and highlight important dates. Alright, so you probably did this the first week but I just wanted to remind you because it’s a lot easier to miss due dates now. I sure did. 

• Tip #2: It’s all about time management. Honestly, school can be stressful and the semester just started. To avoid burning yourself out practice working ahead of time. I always designate specific days for my work meaning I wake up at eight in the morning and work until everything is complete usually around five o’clock. 

• Tip #3: If you have way too much work to complete tip number two may not work for you but, if you set a goal for yourself for how much work you want to complete that will definitely help you out. 

• Tip #4: Pay attention to your Zoom courses and take notes. Sounds virtually impossible you may be sitting at home or laying in your bed. To avoid distractions go to a quiet place somewhere you can set your stuff up and just focus. Avoid sitting in bed for class and go to a desk. Things have been a bit harder because I know many of us are used to going to class and now it feels like we’re teaching ourselves. So make sure you schedule an appointment to meet with your professor for their office hours. Most professors are holding their sessions on Zoom or you can email them. 

• Tip #5: Get yourself an accountability partner. Both of you can help remind each other of what is due and when. If one of you is having a problem with something, share it with your partner they may know. Or if you don’t want a partner make your phone your partner we’re on it now more than ever. The bottom line is to stay on top of your work you have dreams to accomplish!

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.