This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be inspire me and not terrify me.”

Tracee Ellis Ross

Senior year is both exciting and terrifying, gratifying and nerve-wracking. Our academic journey is coming to an end and a new exciting wave of career opportunities, life experiences, and unique lessons awaits us at the threshold of graduation. However, we are all still somewhat a little nervous. Nervous about the next steps, about whether we can finish or not, and probably about who we are after college.

Sometimes these nervous feelings can completely overwhelm us. What better option is there than to succumb to senioritis? (Note my sarcasm.)

It’s more than a pain in the–well you know. It only adds to the unwanted anxiety of graduating and of not knowing what to expect afterward. Luckily, there are ways to fight back senioritis. Here are just a few ways to get started!

Plan small and celebrate the small successes.

Senior year is not the easy, relaxing time advisors, friends, and/or family make it out to be. This year means just as much as your freshman year and should be taken just as seriously. We all have big projects to get done, goals to reach, and responsibilities to fulfill. 

But, don’t get lost in it all. If all you can do today is complete a discussion post, show up to class, and eat dinner, pat yourself on the back. For some reason, senioritis–coupled with seasonal depression–makes completing a large task all the more difficult. Take time to evaluate what you can get done and keep taking it one day at a time. 

Use new and unique ways to study.

Forming and being consistent to study habits is not easy. As a senior, you’ve probably been through a list of different study habits–some of which may have helped or failed completely. Some of your study habits are probably completely tired out. 

Finding unique ways to study might be helpful in finishing this year off. For instance, maybe using study apps, joining/starting study lives on Tik Tok or Instagram or finding a new study partner can assist in refocusing on homework and projects. It’s not easy to keep up the motivation, so instead focus on staying dedicated.

Communicate with professors.

Communicating with your professors is just as important as communicating with them your freshman year. You’ve worked up your rapport for at least two or three years and it’s important to keep in touch. 

If you are a bit stressed and missed an assignment or two, communicate that with them. Let them know that you are facing some challenges and you are continuing to work through them. Chances are they will be understanding and even help guide you through them. However, they can’t know how to help unless you reach out, so don’t be embarrassed or nervous.

Finish off strong.

Finally, the icing on the cake. It’s so easy to reminisce on what you should’ve done more or less of, how your peers may be doing more than you did, and wishing that things worked out differently. However, the reality is you are exactly where you need to be. 

You’ve done all you can. The only thing you can do now is give the remainder of your time here your all. You are almost at the finish line, just push a little more!

Alexis Badger

Georgia Southern '22

Hello everyone! My name is Alexis Badger and I am currently a senior at Georgia Southern University studying Writing & Linguistics with a minor in Multimedia Journalism. During my free time, I enjoy reading and posting on my reading blog (IG: @readwith.lex). After graduation, I hope to work on publishing my own work.