Style > Beauty

My Personal Natural, Skin Care Staples For Every Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As the seasons transition, it is often challenging to find suitable skincare product combinations. This is mainly due to the different weather conditions of each season which sequentially affects our skin. 

Although I am not an esthetician, throughout years of trial and error I’ve found which natural products work well for my skin. I’ve composed a list of my personal natural skincare staples that have worked well for me and numerous others all year-round. Whether your skin is oily, dry, discolored, sensitive, acne-prone, or even just fine (lucky you!), I am certain you’ll find at least one of the following quite beneficial in every season. Let’s go glow!

Aloe Vera has to be my favorite of all my staples! I primarily use the gel to prevent and get rid of acne as well as heal my skin after a minor injury such as cuts or burns. Aloe vera contains antioxidants, enzymes, Vitamins A and C, and is an anti-inflammatory agent. It is also helpful for those with dry skin; acting as a moisture sealant.

Witch hazel is a great anti-inflammatory agent for the skin. It contains antioxidants, fights acne, tones, and soothes the skin. Also, I use witch hazel to minimize the appearance of my pores and decrease the puffiness around my eyes.

Rose water is derived from actual roses and its benefits are plentiful. It contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. I like that it helps controls the excess oil within my skin, hydrates, moisturizes, and tones the skin. It has been stated that it even enhances the user’s mood. The aroma of the roses supposedly relieves you of feelings of anxiety; promoting relaxation.

Jamaican black castor oil was initially a haircare staple for me. However, once I learned of its versatile benefits for skin use, I had to test it for myself. Sure enough, I was impressed. I typically select Jamaican black castor oils with added Vitamins A, D, and/or E inside. It can be used to moisturize, tone skin, reduce/prevent the appearance of stretch marks and wrinkles, and promote healing of scars. Sometimes I even use it as a healthier alternative for removing my makeup.

Ciara Childs

Georgia Southern '23

Ciara Childs, CPhT is a Political Science undergraduate student at Georgia Southern University. She is a native of Albany, Georgia. Her hobbies include traveling, learning, writing, cooking, and meditating. Ciara's philosophy of life would be best described by Maya Angelou's quote "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.