Photo of a "Love" sign
Photo of a "Love" sign
Rebecca Karlous
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

It’s understandable to feel down, upset or lonely when you have to spend another Valentine’s Day by yourself. But this gives you the time to pamper yourself and practice the self-love that gets forgotten through the restless week of the ordinary college student. There are so many things to do on Valentine’s Day to practice self-love. So if you have to spend time by yourself this V-Day use it to invest in you!

Mentally:

As a college student, you are constantly working, exerting so much energy on things that aren’t you. Whether we give our time to studying, organizations or everyday social groups, the time you get to declutter your brain during the week is slim to none. Take the time this weekend to declutter your mind. You can through this by journaling your thoughts, feelings, and all the information that you’ve collected during the week. By journaling you allow yourself to recognize your feelings and give yourself the time to value them in a way that you couldn’t during the week. 

Emotionally:

It’s really hard for people to understand the difference between mental and emotional care. They seem to overlap a lot but your emotional well-being refers to the way we process our emotions. Journaling also helps you process the emotions you are feeling but another way to process them is by allowing yourself the time to do something you want to do. For example, if you can’t stand to have to learn about mitochondria or having to write another essay for class, put it down and allow yourself something that makes you feel good about yourself. Painting, getting your nails done, cleaning your room, are just a few examples.

Physically:

Physically love yourself this Valentine’s Day. You may not realize it but when you physically show love to yourself, you also boost your mental and emotional well-being which makes you feel better about yourself in general. Spend time this weekend doing something that physically makes you feel good. Maybe that’s doing face masks and doing your hair routine but it could also be an action like baking that makes you feel happy.

Alexis Badger

Georgia Southern '22

Hello everyone! My name is Alexis Badger and I am currently a senior at Georgia Southern University studying Writing & Linguistics with a minor in Multimedia Journalism. During my free time, I enjoy reading and posting on my reading blog (IG: @readwith.lex). After graduation, I hope to work on publishing my own work.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.