love letters: safe spaces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

College is fun! But college is also incredibly, dreadfully stressful. Many people are like Energizer bunnies, never seeming to run out of energy or time. Many people are just really good at running on a low battery. For most of us though, we absolutely need a space where we can recharge. It’s important that you are able to define a space that that in your lives, and whether it’s in the comfort of your favorite Netflix series, or going out for a run, there’s a space that all of us can benefit from if we take the time to make it a safe space — our bedrooms.

It’s so important that your room serves as your ultimate safe space because let’s face it, sleep is so neglected in college. If sleep is really one of the most important things we can do for ourselves, why wouldn’t our rooms be designed especially for that?

It’s important to keep your room as a calming place. It’s easy to make it a center for stress through bad habits like:

• Doing homework in bed
  • Keeping all of the lights on right before bed
  • Not cleaning enough or always having a cluttered room  

There are also some not so obvious ways that your room could not be a space for you to destress and recharge. If your room is not decorated in a way you like for example, you could always be agitated about how your bed set is bright neon green or how you don’t really like that band that’s on that poster near your bed anymore. Switch it up! Change your room with the seasons! Of course, I’m not saying spend lots of money because #college, but I am saying that it’s not against the rules to rearrange your room if you can. Who knows? You might even feel like your room is bigger and better afterwards!

Fix the little things. FIx that squeaky dresser. Arrange your closet. Hang up some new posters. Find anything that could make your room a little sanctuary of relaxation and inspiration for yourself.

May my words be like a love letter to you,

xo, LaVonna

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.