love letters: practicing self care during spring break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Spring semester is easily the most difficult semester to get through. It becomes easy to live for the weekends, having the mindset only to get to the end of the semester, to be done with it all, right? And once we do get to Spring Break, we tend to just waste the week doing nothing. Some of us don’t even regret it, but chances are that you could’ve used the much needed vacation to de-stress your mind. Perhaps going straight into Spring Break with the mindset of doing nothing could actually keep the persistent dread of returning to school on your mind. With this mindset, do you even end up relaxing as you planned? Are you really getting away from the stress?

A break during this time could actually become your best opportunity to indulge in a week of self care right before you return to classes. It’s important to seek out this time because after breaks, it can become SO incredibly easy to feel absolutely no motivation. During spring break, depending on whether you go home or stay, it could be difficult to return to your home or to be alone while your friends go to different places. There are ways to fight all of these feelings though of course, and make the most of your spring break.

If you’re returning home, you could feel as though you’re walking into the past. Your past could bring you a warm, welcoming sense of nostalgia, or it could remind you of toxic memories and times that you’d rather not remember. To change up this space you could rearrange your space. Get rid of things, add things. Take down your old high school posters. Move your bed next to the window. Change your sheets. Put up inspiration, whether it be in positive quotes or art. Changing the way your room looks will change the energy within it, and you’ll redefine the space for yourself as you’ve grown from the last time you’ve been there.

If you’re returning home, you should definitely try hard not to completely isolate yourself in your room. Reach out to your family and friends (if your spring breaks are aligned!!) They miss you. Even if it’s just one afternoon you spend in the living room, your presence is appreciated. If your family or friends aren’t a safe space for you, try to get out of the house. Get some sun, go for a walk, take note of the way Spring brings the Earth to life again. Reach out to an old teacher from high school even! Grab lunch. People need people, and going from constantly being around others to isolation could be bad for mental health.

If you’re staying in Statesboro, do things you’ve been meaning to do or wanting to do but just haven’t had the time to! Do some of those DIY projects. cross out some of those goals you wrote down for the new year. Make some art for your room. Read a book (for pleasure not to study, unless you like that). Buy yourself some flowers. Walk on campus and admire the way nature looks when you’re not headed to class!

Above all, enjoy your Spring Break. It’s the last break before the end of the semester! Choose to use it wisely!

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.