This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

I think that it’s high time that the young women of this generation speak up for themselves, their freedom and their ovaries! We should not be trying to appease certain social norms that just do not work into our life plan at the moment or within the next 10 years for that matter. I, for one, can not hear the infamous biological clock’s annoying ticking that has been going on around me for the past few years. Not only is my “maternal clock” not ticking, I have not even purchased said clock or know where to do so. 

What it is this fear, that our dear mothers have for us, ladies? That we will be alone at the very old age of 30? That all of our chances of a happily ever after may, in fact, lie within ourselves and not between the arms of some complete stranger who we grow to tolerate and then eventually hate?  Let’s be clear, this is in no way a diss to the lovely male counterpart and all his wonders. I am just simply observing the fact that a lot of us may be going through the same things at this moment. 

I do not know about you, dear reader, but I have always been fed (willingly at times) the idea that I go to school, find a job, get a husband and bring on the children. But being out of the home and on my own where I am allowed to create my own path and prioritize my goals, I do not think I want the “quintessential lifestyle”, at least not in the traditional way.

Each day, this new generation redefines what it really means to be different, to be self and to do this to the best of your ability. From the wave of the new Civil Rights movement to LGBTQ rights to marijuana legalization, this current group of cohorts are laying down new rules and definitions for the way of life. No longer is being unmarried and not wanting to in your 20s taboo.  And this is where I fall in, dear reader.

I do not know about you, but I have just found who I am and think that it’s a good idea that I stick with me for a little while. Of course, I am not closing any doors to love opportunities because the best things in life are unexpected but my main focus does not reside in matching up with someone and actively working on a “we” when the “me” is not ready to begin the necessary compromises that marriage requires. Am I afraid of marriage? I guess you can say that I am. But who wouldn’t be, especially when the divorce rates are over 50%.

So I say live. I say date. I say love and find out who you are first. Live according to what you have planned out for you, not what someone else thinks is best. I think that it’s time that we redefine the rules of singlehood and marriage anyway. So with that being said:

” I DO NOT WANT THE DREAM…yet”

Kashia Knight

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.