How to Pass that Class: Study Tips for a Successful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

With midterms around the corner and finals slowly approaching, the library on campus has never been this full. I’m serious.   I walked into the library and was shocked at how many people I seen hovering over a book, talking within their study group, and working on the computer. 

In case you haven’t hopped on the bandwagon, don’t worry because it’s not too late. Here’s a few tips on how to pass that class:

1.)  Take Notes

I love to take notes which sounds a little nerdy, but I love being prepared which involves me taking notes. Sometimes, notes are the only study guides you have so you need to make sure that your notes cover the important information in class.

There are multiple ways for you to take notes and there is definitely no right or wrong way to the note taking method. For me, I like to use colorful pens so that I know which information is worth spending more time on. If the use of gel pens don’t sound exciting, there are many note templates which can be found on the Internet.

Whether it’s sticky notes, colorful pens, or note templates, finding a way to capture the important information in class is necessary if you plan on passing.

2.) Stop Procrastinating 

If they made a show called “The Biggest Procrastinator”, I would definitely win it. Procrastination is something I definitely struggle with; however, I’m working to change that. In order to ace the midterm, you have to be prepared and procrastination hinders preparedness. 

One way to stop procrastination is by altering of due dates. I alter the due dates of my assignments so I can always turn my assignments in early.

There are multiple ways in which you can alter your schedule in order to cut back on procrastination. If you want to have a good semester, then you have to put forth your best effort which involves being prepared.

3.) Stay Organized 

Organization is the only way to success. I’m joking, but organization plays a huge role in how successful someone is. Being organized can be the determining factor whether you pass or fail a class.

One way to stay organized is through the use of a daily planner. If I lost my planner then I would definitely be lost. Not only does my planner helps me stay organized, it constantly reminds me of due dates and important dates. Having a planner will allow you to prioritize your assignments so that you’ll maximize your productivity.

Another way to stay organized is by purchasing organizational tools like binders, folder dividers and folders. By using these tools, you can easily section off certain classes. For me, I use dividers to separate my quizzes, tests, notes and study guides. You can always change your folders to fit your desires.

College can definitely be hard, but finding ways to make college work easy is extremely beneficial. Discovering your study identity will help you grasp more knowledge in class.

Good luck on your midterms and remember that failure is the motivation for success!

Kimmy Smith

Georgia Southern '23

? don’t be afraid to achieve your dreams ? Do you like my work, but would like to see me write about a certain topic? Let me know on Snapchat: @kimber44444
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.