How to Deal with Nosy Family on Turkey Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Ok, let’s not panic here. You’ve been living in adulthood bliss for the past few months during the semester, touching base with family for occasionally and specifically (sorry) when your bank account is low.

With the exception of your heaven sent cousins, you are now faced with all of the people who still see you as a child. Twelve to be exact. 

Not to fear! When it comes to invasive family members, I believe I’ve mastered a template for all the major life questions that we will face. 

Where is your significant other? 

You know (insert family member name), that’s a very good question, but I don’t think I will even know until I at least finish my degree. After all, I’m here for a degree, everything else is optional. Plus they say that it adds stress and wrinkles and who needs that, right?

When are you going to have kids? 

(See above answer for the significant other question)

Wow! You’ve put on some weight! 

Oh really? And to think, I thought I looked just like you when you were my age. Hmm, bummer. 

When are you graduating? 

You can’t really rush perfection and limit education to just four years. In due time,  this flower will bloom and graduate. 

Well, what are your grades looking like?

I’m still enrolled, so yeah, there’s that.

So that’s what the kids are wearing these days? 

You should see what I wear on Friday night.

All in all the key to answering all of the routine interrogation questions is redirection and wit. Once you apply these two successfully at a 50/50 ratio your Thanksgiving Break will be filled with bottomless plates and long naps.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Kashia Knight

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.